UE students face a fiercely competitive future that will not allow them to approach their post-graduate outcomes without clearly demonstrating a set of professional competencies. The University is committed to supporting its students and graduates in meeting these challenges and is proud to announce a program to provide them a clear edge in today's aggressive marketplace. Beginning in the fall of 2012, students may enroll in the ACE Certificate managed by the Center for Career Development.
Students will learn effective techniques to easily communicate their professionalism, skills and career focus. The certificate is awarded to the student following their engagement in a series of activities that require self-evaluation, skill development, networking, self-marketing, experiential education and professional employment and graduate school goal setting. Above all, the certificate prepares the student for active participation and integration into UE's signature program, UE Connect.
- Getting started is easy; begin here for the online application form
- You will be sent a checklist so that you may begin tracking your progress
- A complete set of instructions will be available August 17, 2012
The ACE Certificate has three components and is highly relevant to all students regardless of their career plans:
SELF-EVALUATION - complete all items
- Complete assessment tools: DWYA; Interest Assessment on O*Net; Abilities and Values Assessment
- Identify strengths and blind-spots through individual appointment with career staff
- Create written reflection and action plan
COMMUNICATION AND IMAGE - complete all items
- Identify unique points of personal distinction and develop 30-Second Oral Resume
- Develop personal branding documents: résumé/vitae and cover letter with a focus on the unique elements of the Evansville Experience: study abroad, foreign languages, leadership, community service, service learning, global living/learning communities, professional development, design/research projects
- Learn and practice interviewing skills; behavioral questions, etiquette, protocol and complete Mock Interview with evaluation
- Audit personal online image
- Create and manage one of the following social media sites: Readabout.me, LinkedIn Facebook or Twitter
ENGAGEMENT AND CONNECTION - complete as directed
- Participate in some form of experiential education: internship, co-op, clinical, practicum, student teaching, undergraduate research, senior design, GAP Project, field experience and provide documented UE course or letter of reference from site supervisor
- Engage in a minimum of two career activities: Career or graduate/professional school fairs, professional conferences, forums, recruitment, workshops, or informational interviews, mentor speaker series
- Develop a career goal, generate a timeline and create a post-graduate outcomes plan
- Utilize online resources; UE JobLink, professional social media, job search sites, The BIG Guide
- Leverage networks through participation in: UE Connect-mandatory for all graduating students, mentoring program, recognized professional or social organizations
The University of Evansville's Professional Development Certificate is another decidedly tangible step in delivering exceptional value to the Evansville Experience. Make the important decision to take charge of your professional image and begin your ACE certificate today.