These eBooks have been purchased by UEL and are available only to the UE community. If you have problems accessing a title, please contact the Reference Desk at 812-488-2482.
- eBooks via Ebscohost - Subject collections available through this site include: Anthropology & Archaeology; Biology & Life Sciences; Emerging Markets/Global Economics; Environment & Sustainability; International Business; Math & Statistics; and Nursing.
- eBooks via Project Muse - Over 600 eBooks covering subjects in the humanities, arts and social sciences.
- Europa - First published in 1926, Europa is renowned as one of the world's leading reference works, covering political and economic information in over 250 countries and territories.
- Columbia Gazetteer of the World - A dictionary of geographic terms; major categories are the political world (countries, provinces, regions, etc.), the physical world (gulfs, valleys, mountains, etc.), and special places (airports, military bases, partks, etc.).
- CQ Political Reference Suite - online version of CQ Press' acclaimed reference titles on government and politics like Washington Information Directory, Vital Statistics on American Politics 2005-2006, CQ's Politics in America 2006, Historic Documents Series 1972-2005, and much more.
- Literary Criticism Online - Contemporary Literary Criticism, Drama Criticism, Classical and Medieval Criticism, and 20th-Century Literary Criticism
- Oxford English Dictionary - The accepted authority on the evolution of the English language over the last millennium and is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past.
- Oxford Reference Online - brings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource. Subjects include classics, computing, environment, biology, performing arts, and many more.
- Magill's Literary Annuals - essay-reviews of 200 outstanding books published in the US during the previous year.
- The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s in America & Great Events from History - the complete history of each decade.
These websites are gateways to collections of free, full text books. Some require downloading, but many are viewable online. Most of the texts are in the public domain and free of charge.
- ALEX - A collection of digital documents in the subject areas of English literature, American literature, and Western philosophy.
- Bartleby.com - Great books online.
- Bibliomania.com - Classic fiction.
- Europeana - Explore the digital resources of Europe's museums, libraries, archives and audio-visual collections.
- Google Books Search - Google offers nearly 3 million free e-books from the public domain.
- Internet Classics Archive - 441 works of mostly Greco-Roman literature.
- Online Books Page - Full text books available for reading free on the Internet from the U of PA Library.
- Open Library - Open Library is an online site of over 1 million books and is part of the Internet Archive. Not all of the titles are available in digital format--some records link to WorldCat where library holdings of physical copies can be viewed.
- Project Gutenberg - The original collection of volunteer-keyed online texts which are available for downloading.
- UVa Digital Text Collections - Maintained by the University of Virginia.