Creative Writing at Harlaxton
Every summer, Creative Writing students have the opportunity to study their craft in the beautiful English Midlands at UE's British campus, Harlaxton College.
Harlaxton Summer Writing Program
The Harlaxton Summer Writing Program allows student writers to experience a unique time and place to study their craft — the beautiful English Midlands at the University of Evansville's British campus. Just an hour from London by train, Harlaxton College is an exquisite, 100-room, Victorian manor situated on 105 rolling acres. In addition to this unique study-abroad locale, students also enjoy personal conferences with notable British and American writers, guest readings with visiting writers, discussions with editors and authors about publishing, and excursions into the countryside and urban centers of England to explore this nation's rich architecture and literary history. The next session is scheduled for 2013. Contact Professor Rob Griffith for more information.
Students Perspectives from the 2011 Session:
- "The visiting writers were great, and so impressive. Our instructor was wonderful, willing and helpful, understanding and knowledgeable."
- "To have the exposure and interaction with other writers, schooled by working professionals in the field was incredible. This was a needed reality check!"
- "The professors were always available and there were lots of great literary day trips. It was a wonderful experience I'd recommend to others."
- "The feedback on my work helped me revise, and my writing improved overall."
- "Our instructors were flexible, knowledgeable, and dedicated to learning. I was able to get as much help as I desired, but at the pace I needed to go."
- "The trips to D.H. Lawrence's house and to Lord Byron's Newstead Abby were great, especially getting to compare the two. It was really informative."
- "Being able to interact with a variety of writers was a wonderful opportunity. Very informative, helpful and fun!"
- "The most positive aspect of this program? Probably getting to workshop with a variety of people in a wonderful setting."
- "Excellent experience. Best class I've ever had."
- "I loved the cultural exposure to new places and people. The guest speakers are wonderful."