John K. Layer
Dr. Layer is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Evansville.
- Ph.D. in Industrial Engineering, University of Louisville
- Masters of Business Administration, Arizona State University
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Evansville
- 20 years of industry experience in mechanical & control engineering, project management, and operations management
- Temporary Instructor, University of Louisville, Industrial Engineering
- Machine Design
- Numerical Methods
- Cognitive Systems Engineering
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Publications: Peer-reviewed Journals
- Sherehly, B., Karwowski, W., and Layer, J. K. 2007. A Review of Enterprise Agility Concepts, Frameworks, and Attributes. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 37, 445-460.
- Jang, R-L., Karwowski, W., Quesada, P. M., Rodrick, D., Sherehly, B., Cronin, S. N., and Layer, J. K. 2007. Biomechanical Evaluation of Nursing Tasks in a Hospital Setting. Ergonomics.50, 1-21.
- Layer, J.K., Karwowski, W., and Furr, A. 2009. The Effect of Cognitive Demands and Perceived Quality of Work Life on Human Performance in Manufacturing Environments. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 39, 413-421.
- Layer, J.K., Gibson, L., and Tipton, J. 2011. The Humanitarian Service Component as a Motivator in Capstone Design Projects. Journal of Engineering Education. (in preparation).
- Layer, J.K., and Karwowski, W. 2011. Employee Performance: Causal Effects of How Employees Think and Feel at Work. The Academy of Management Journal. (in preparation).
Publications: In Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Layer, J.K., and Gwaltney, C. 2009. International Capstone Design Projects: Evaluating Student Learning and Motivation Associated with International Humanitarian Projects. American Society for Engineering Education 116th Annual Conference and Exposition, June 14 – 17, 2009. Austin, Texas, USA.
- Levy, R.M., Nelson, R., and Layer, J.K. 2011. Variable Position Mid-Wheel Drive System for Power Wheelchairs. Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology of North America (RESNA) Conference, June 5 – 8, 2011, Toronto, Canada. (in preparation).
- Layer, J.K., Karwowski. W., and Furr, A. 2008, An Evaluative Synthesis of Human Performance, Cognitive Demands, and Quality of Work Life in Manufacturing Environments, AHFEI 2008 2nd International Conference of Applied Ergonomics, July 14-17, 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.