Dr. Tipton is an Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Evansville.
- Ph.D in Mechanical Engineering, University of Tennessee, 2009
- MS in Mechanical Engineering, University of Tennessee, 2006
- BS in Aerospace Engineering, University of Tennessee, 2002
- U.S. Department of Energy Higher Education Research Experiences (HERE) for Faculty, Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL)
- Graduate Research Assistant, Micro/Nano- Scale Fluidics and Energy Transport (MINSFET) Lab, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, University of Tennessee, Knoxville
- NASA Reduced Gravity Student Flight Opportunity Program, Johnson Space Center, Houston, TX
- Co-op Intern, Pratt & Whitney Military Engines & Liquid Space Propulsion, W. Palm Beach, FL
- Micro/Nano-Scale Fluidics and Heat Transfer
- Numerical Analysis / Computational Fluid Dynamics
- Instrumentation and Measurement
- Tau Beta Pi Engineering Honor Society (ΤΒΠ)
- Sigma Gamma Tau Aerospace Engineering Honor Society (ΣΓΤ)
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE)
Refereed Journal Publications
- C.H. Chon, S.W. Paik, J.B. Tipton Jr., and K.D. Kihm, “Evaporation and Dryout of Nanofluid Droplets Heated by a Microheater Array,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Photo Gallery, Vol. 128, 2006, p. 735.
- Chanhee Chon, Sokwon Paik, Joseph B. Tipton Jr., and Kenneth D. Kihm, “Effect of Nanoparticle Sizes and Number Densities on the Evaporation and Dryout Characteristics for Strongly Pinned Nanofluid Droplets,” Langmuir, Vol. 23, 2007, pp. 2953-2960. (Experimental images from this research were selected as the journal cover page.)
- Joseph B. Tipton Jr., Kenneth D. Kihm, and David M. Pratt, “Modeling Alkaline Liquid Metal (Na) Evaporating Thin Films Using Both Retarded Dispersion and Electronic Force Components,” Journal of Heat Transfer, Vol. 131, 2009, 121015 (9 pages)
- Arnold Lumsdaine, Joseph Tipton, and Martin Peng. “Thermal Fluid Multiphysics Optimization of Spherical Tokamak Centerpost,” Fusion Engineering and Design, article in press.
Journal Papers in Preparation
- Joseph B. Tipton Jr., Kenneth D. Kihm, and David M. Pratt, “Multiscale Modeling of Evaporative Liquid Metal (Sodium) Capillary,” research article to be submitted to International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer.
- M. Parang, J.B. Tipton, and J.D. Garth, “Two-Phase Flow Heat Transfer Under Microgravity Condition,” in 41st Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, 6-9 January 2003, AIAA 2003-1302.
- Viatcheslav Naoumov, Masood Parang, Christopher Shough, and Joseph Tipton, “Droplet Entrainment in Two-Phase Flow Under Reduced Gravity,” in 45th Aerospace Sciences Meeting and Exhibit, Reno, Nevada, 8-11 January 2007, AIAA 2007-743.
Conference Posters & Presentations
- A. Lumsdaine, J. Tipton, S. Sharafat, A. Ayoama, M. Dagher, E. Marriott, M. Sawan, C. Wong, and M. Ulrickson, “Thermomechanical Modeling of Blanket Systems,” Presentation given at the Fusion Nuclear Science and Technology Annual Meeting, UCLA, 2-6 August 2010.
- J. Tipton, A. Lumsdaine, E. Marriott, M. Sawan, M. Dagher, and C. Wong, "Thermal Transfer of Helium Cooled, Roughened Surfaces for Fusion Test Blanket." Poster presented at the 19th Topical Meeting on the Technology of Fusion Energy, Las Vegas, NV, 7-11 November 2010.
- A. Lumsdaine, J. Tipton, and M. Peng, “Thermal Fluid Multiphysics Optimization of Spherical Torus Centerpost,” Poster presented at the 10th International Symposium on Fusion Nuclear Technology, Portland, OR, 11-16 September 2011.
- Jeffrey Harris, Arnold Lumsdaine, John Canik, Jeremy Lore, Dean McGinnis, Alan Peacock, Fred Hurd, Jean Boscary, Joachim Geiger, and Joseph Tipton, “Design of Divertor Scraper Elements for the W7-X Stellarator,” Presentation given at the 53rd Annual Meeting of the APS Division of Plasma Physics, Salt Lake City, UT, 14-18 November 2011.