General Sociology After Graduation
What can you do with a Sociology degree?
Virtually anything: few fields have as broad a scope and relevance as does Sociology. This makes it both exciting and challenging to build a future, because many choices are open to you.
A degree in Sociology can lead to employment opportunities in all of the following areas. This list has been adapted from Black Hills State University.
- Criminal Justice - In corrections, rehabilitation, law enforcement, the justice system, parole system.
- Business and Industry - Advertising, Consumer and Market Research, Management of Non-profit organizations, Human Resources, Training and Human Development, Leadership Training.
- Research and Planning - Governmental and regional planning departments, research firms, evaluation research, public opinion research.
- Agencies - Social Services, Mental Health Services, Adoption, Child Care, Youth Services, Developmental Disability Services.
- Government - Social Science Analysis, Census Bureau and other federal agencies, Administration, Policy Analysis, Personnel, Homeland Security.
- Education - Public and Private Schools, Colleges and Universities, Administration, Alumni Relations, Placement Offices, Educational Research.
- Advocacy - Environmental, Child Welfare, National Policies, Victims Rights, Labor Rights, Community Organization.
- Communications - Technical Writing, Newspaper and Magazine Reporting, Public Relations.