Transform the Learning Environment
“A great library is a commitment to our students” – President Tom Kazee
You can make our library a vital center for learning.
Today’s libraries serve a number of key functions, in addition to their traditional role of housing printed material.
- It needs to be a focus for collaboration. Today learning involves team oriented collaborative work, and dedicated space for that type of learning is vital and critical to student success.
- There is also a need for individual contemplative space – not the long library table of the past – but a variety of spaces to suit individual needs and learning styles.
- Libraries need to provide a home for services such as writing, communication, tutoring centers and other specialty areas.
- Libraries must continue to provide both traditional research and technical services, with the latest in computer technology and support services.
- A great library can also reinforce the University brand and thereby help attract and retain students.
For all of these reasons the University of Evansville has decided that it is time to refresh and update the Bower-Suhrheinrich Library.
We want to:
- Create a common area that will be the heart and soul of the library. It will blend computer technology services and classical library reference and research and be a hub for students to gather, exchange ideas, collaborate and utilize multiple technologies.
- It will also have space for individual contemplative use, where a student can read, think and create.
- And we will directly connect the Library with glass and entry to the campus, lawn and Ridgway University Center by removing a solid wall and making that wall a window. It will fill the commons with light and energy.
|1st Floor Open Area||$1,000,000|
|Collaboration Units (5)||$50,000/each|
|1st Floor Wall Art||$25,000|
|Circulation Desk 1st Floor||$75,000|
|2nd Floor Casual Seating Area||$250,000|
|3rd Floor Group Seating Areas (3 large)||$50,000/each|
|3rd Floor Group Seating Areas (4 small)||$25,000/each|
|4th Floor Group Study Areas (8)||$35,000|
|Information Commons Areas|