Frequently-Asked Questions

I can’t make it to Commencement Central. Is there something I can do?

Check your degree and diploma information on Self Service under Graduation Overview. Changes to your diploma name and mailing address can be made any time before Commencement. Changes to graduation term or your degree program must be made in the Office of the Registrar. Then go to the Bookstore to order your regalia and graduation announcements. Finally, be sure to connect with Alumni Relations to sign up for UE Connect and meet with Career Services to discuss your future plans.

I need one more class in the winter intersession to finish my degree. Can I walk in December?

Absolutely! You will technically be an alumnus of the following year since that is when your final course ends, but we would be happy to have you as part of the Winter Commencement. Please be sure to inform the Office of the Registrar if there is any change in your anticipated graduation term. That way, we can be sure we have your graduation data entered into the system correctly and get you a registration time for winter registration if needed. This information is also important to have accurate because Financial Aid uses your graduation date for reporting federal loans.

Should I show up to the Small Gym in my gown or can I change there?

We recommend coming to the small gym already in your robes. There will be no private dressing rooms and mirror space is limited, so come prepared. We will have basic necessities on hand if there is a wardrobe malfunction, but best to be ready in advance.

What accessories can I wear with my robe?

Only UE approved regalia is allowed at Commencement. This includes approved cords, sashes, tassels, and stoles only (i.e. no feather boas!). If you have any questions about what is UE approved, stop by the Registrar’s Office for more information.

Will the Small Gym have security for our belongings during Commencement?

Safety and Security has stationed an officer in the graduates’ preparation area in the past, but we provide no guarantee for the safety of any belongings left behind. We recommend leaving purses, backpacks, etc. at home or with your guests. We will not be held responsible for any lost or stolen items, so only bring what you need and what you can carry with you.

It’s been three months and I haven’t gotten my diploma yet. What’s going on?

Call us! There could be several reasons for a delay in your diploma. The best way to find out why is to call our office at 812-488-2600 or email us from your UE email address. We will be happy to investigate and find out what the hold-up is.

Right after Commencement I got a job offer out of town I couldn’t pass up. How do I change my diploma mailing address?

Contact the Office of the Registrar at from your UE email address to change your diploma mailing address. We can accept changes in mailing address up until the document in placed in our mailbox. Please note that after Commencement, we can make no guarantee that address changes or diploma name changes made to your application on Self Service will be processed. It is best to contact us directly for these alterations after Commencement.

My parents want a copy of my diploma to hang up. Can I get more than one copy?

Yes! We would be happy to produce more than one copy of your diploma. Just fill out the Replacement Diploma Form on the Registrar’s webpage and make a payment with Student Accounts for the additional copy. Proof of identity may be required, especially if you do not use your UE email address any longer.

Office Phone:

Office Email:

Event Location:
Meeks Family Fieldhouse, Carson Center, UE Campus