Fitness Center and Recreational Sports
Last Updated: September 4, 2020
All staff (including work study students, interns, and fitness class instructors) would go through a required training.
Personal Protective Equipment
- All staff required to wear a mask or face coverings when not in a private office.
- Mask or face coverings will be required by those using the facility. Workouts may need to be modified to accommodate for a mask or face covering.
- Gloves are required for staff when cleaning after use of machines and equipment.
- There will be a limit on equipment that is checked out.
- All equipment that is checked out must be cleaned after each use.
- All unmonitored equipment will be removed (all mats, medicine balls, etc.).
- Water fountain refill stations will be available.
- Social distancing in required in ALL areas.
- Signs with instructions will be posted throughout the facility.
- Staff will be diligent about monitoring all areas of the facility.
- The fitness center will be closed Monday through Friday from 2-3 pm for cleaning.
Front Desk/Registration Area
- Guests who plan to work out will be asked if they completed the #CampusClear health screening prior to admission.
- Entrance to the Fitness Center will be monitored by the front desk.
- The exit will be through the ramp exit/door. Individuals will be discouraged from entering through Carson Center.
- Plexiglass screens will be placed at the reception desk and all employees working behind the desk will properly wear a mask or face covering at all times.
- Students and employees will scan their own ID.
- Towels will not be provided.
- Appropriate furniture will be removed to allow for appropriate social distancing.
- Showers will not be available.
- Custodial staff will focus on extra cleaning in restrooms, showers, and locker areas.
- Lockers will be available for rent. Unassigned lockers will be secured with zip-ties.
- The racquetball courts will not be in use and be used for storage.
- Limited to 8 people on track at a time with signage to use social distance measures.
- Free weights area
- There will be 8-foot segmented boxes on the floor to increase social distancing
- Benches will be removed that adhere to the 8 feet parameters (where benches are close together, only allow one bench to be used at one time)
- Designated staff will be sanitizing equipment after use by guests.
- Additional cleaning supplies will be placed in the weight rooms for all weight plates, dumbbells, kettle balls for individuals to clean.
- Guests will not be allowed to move between or rotate to and from benches/equipment between sets All sets must be completed before moving on to next exercise equipment.
- It will be discouraged to perform max lifts when participants are not lifting with a partner.
- Extra weight equipment will be moved to storage (racquetball courts).
- Directional arrows will be on the floor entry and exit.
- There will be a minimum of 8 feet separation between machines
- Any machines that cannot be moved but not available for use to increase social distances will be noted by signage. Signage will guide quests appropriately up and down stairs to allow for social distancing. Directional floor signage will be installed to assist with flow.
- If there is a need, the rowing machines and recumbent bikes will be moved onto the basketball court.
- The basketball court will be used for fitness classes with appropriate distancing.
- There will be no basketball or volleyball played inside.
- 10-foot segmented boxes on floors and classes will be limited to the number of designated boxes.
- All non-essential equipment will be moved to a storage area.
- No mats, exercise balls, etc. will be provided.
Fitness Center Check-in Policies
Fitness Center Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday:
6:30 a.m. - 10:00 p.m.
11:30 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
11:30 a.m. - 9:00 p.m.