Evansville Bike Share Project
The Bike Share station outside Carson Center on UE campus. UE and area high school students helped drive the Bike Share project in Evansville through their participation on the Alternative Energy ChangeLab team and both the UE High School and Collegiate Changemaker Challenges!
Changemaker (n) – Coined by the social entrepreneurship organization Ashoka; one who desires change in the world and, by gathering knowledge and resources, makes that change happen.
At the University of Evansville, we encourage and foster the changemaking spirit in a variety of ways - encouraging students to look at the world around them and ask “What if?” We encourage all of our students to be changemakers who seek out creative and effective ways to solve the problems they see in both the community and world, thus making it a better place for all of us in the end.
What is a Changemaker?
- Someone who desires change in the world and makes that change happen.
- Someone who is taking creative action to solve a social or environmental problem.
In the context of higher education, changemaking includes the following:
- Social entrepreneurship
- Social Innovation
- Service learning
- Civic engagement
- Social justice
Changemaking at UE has been happening for a long time, although we have only recently used the terminology of changemaking for it. It is aligned with our mission.
UE’s Core Purpose: To provide students with life transforming educational experiences that prepare them to engage the world as informed, ethical, and productive citizens.
- Ashoka U Student Resources
- More than Simply “Doing Good”: A definition of Changemaker
- Recommended Reading from Ashoka
- What is a Social Entrepreneur?
- Advice to Changemakers: Lessons from the Ashoka-American Express Emerging Innovators US Boot Camp
- How to Become a Social Entrepreneur
- What is Social Entrepreneurship?
Examples of Changemaking at UE
- LTU Innovation Encounter design projects
- Collegiate Changemaker Challenge
- High School Changemaker Challenge
- Ethics and Social Change Major
- Catalysts for Change
- Global Social Innovation Workshop
- Social Entrepreneurship
- Introduction to Ethics
- Social Justice Movements
- Complex Systems and Social Change
- Social Change Field Experience
- Ethics and Social Change
- FYS: Transformative Action
- Upgrade Bike Share
- Changemaker Incubator
- ChangeLab Projects such as:
- Annual Days of Service
- Anti-bias team
- Change Fest
- Ace Care pro-bono PT clinic
- Institute for Banking and Finance - financial literacy for expectant parents
- Institute for Banking and Finance - microloans for diverse populations
- Habitat for Humanity Nicaragua
- Habitat for Humanity Guatemala
- College Mentors for Kids
- Community Garden
- Social Innovation Club
- Diversity House
- Sustainability Task Force
- Scholars for Syria
- Rally for Love
- Rally for Refugees
- Eco-Action Initiative
- Sustainability Task Force
- Community Health Projects in Nursing
- Aces into Evansville
- Alternative Spring Break
- PSA student grant writing
Work on issues such as:
- human trafficking
- childhood aids
- And more!