Dr. Joyce Stamm
Koch Center for Engineering and Science, Room 216
- Developmental Biology
- Molecular Biology
- B.S. in Chemistry, California Institute of Technology
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry, Molecular Biology and Biophysics, University of Minnesota – Twin Cities
- BIOL 119 Introductory Biology: Molecular Perspectives
- BIOL 299 Phage Genome Analysis
- BIOL 331 Genetics
- BIOL 399 Epigenetics
- BIOL 455 Genomics in Research and Medicine
Regulation of cell growth and division: Controlling cell growth and division is crucial for normal development; uncontrolled cell growth in humans may lead to developmental defects and cancers. To study the genes involved in this process, we are performing a genetic screen using the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster. In a genetic screen, mutations are generated randomly in a population, and then individual organisms that show defects in the biological process of interest are selected. Generally, each selected individual has a mutation in a gene that is involved in that particular biological process, and these genes can then be identified and characterized. Recently, Audrey Chambers (’24) examined more than 400 randomly mutagenized animals and identified about 30 which contain eye defects that suggest unregulated cell growth and division. Kelsey Breneman (’23) and Annie Kim (’25) have continued this work by analyzing several of these mutants to narrow down the genomic region where the mutations are, and to fully characterize the mutant phenotypes. Our goal is to determine the exact DNA changes in these mutants and increase our understanding of the genes involved in controlling cell growth and division.
- Co-principal Investigator: A multi-institutional Course-based Undergraduate Research Experience in genetics. National Science Foundation: Improving Undergraduate STEM Education Program. $299,983, 10/2020 – present.
- Principal Investigator: Computers in Science and Math Undergraduate Education. National Science Foundation: Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Program. DUE1834159. $1,074,838, 3/2019 – present.
- Principal Investigator: Science and Mathematics Scholarship (SAMS) Program to recruit and retain high achieving students. National Science Foundation: Scholarships in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics Program. DUE1258767. $610,600, 9/2013 – 1/2020.
- Eykamp Prize, 2021
- The Sydney and Sadelle Berger Award for Service, 2017
- Publications of student work in Genetics (BIOL 331):
- EM Talley, CT Watts, S Aboyer, MG Adamson*, HA Akoto, H Altemus, PJ Avella, R Bailey, ER Bell, KL Bell, K Breneman*, JS Burkhart, LJ Chanley*, SS Cook*, MT DesLaurier, TR Dorsey, CJ Doyle*, ME Egloff, AS Fasawe, KK Garcia, NP Graves, TK Gray, EM Gustafson, MJ Hall, JD Hayes*, LJ Holic, BA Jarvis, PS Klos, S Kritzmire*, L Kuzovko, E Lainez, S McCoy, JC Mierendorf, NA Neri, CR Neville, K Osborn, K Parker, ME Parks, K Peck*, R Pitt, ME Platta, B Powell, K Rodriguez, C Ruiz, MN Schaefer*, AB Shields, JB Smiley, B Stauffer, D Straub, JL Sweeney, KM Termine, B Thomas, SD Toth, TR Veile, KS Walker, PN Webster, BJ Woodard*, QL Yoder, MK Young, ML Zeedyk, LN Ziegler, KL Bieser, DP Puthoff, J Stamm, AD Vrailas-Mortimer, JD Kagey, and JA Merkle (2021). Genetic mapping and phenotypic analysis of shot 3.2 in Drosophila melanogaster. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000418.
- AD Vrailas-Mortimer, N Aggarwal, NN Ahmed, IM Alberts*, M Alhawasli, IA Aljerdi, BM Allen, AM Alnajar, MA Anderson, R Armstong*, CC Avery, EJ Avila*, TN Baker*, S Basardeh, NA Bates, FN Beidas, AC Bosler, DM Brewer, RS Buenaventura, NJL Burrell, AP Cabrera-Lopez, AB Cervantes-Gonzalez, RP Cezar, J Coronel, C Croslyn*, KR Damery, L Diaz-Alavez, NP Dixit, DL Duarte, AR Emke, K English, AA Eshun, SR Esterly, AJ Estrada, M Feng, MM Freund, N Garcia, CS Ghotra, H Ghyasi, CSA Hale, L Hulsman, L Jamerson, AK Jones, M Kuczynski, T N Lacey-Kennedy, MJ Lee, T Mahjoub, MC Mersinger, AD Muckerheide*, DW Myers, K Nielsen, PJ Nosowicz, JA Nunez, AC Ortiz, TT Patel, NN Perry*, WS Poser*, DM Puga, C Quam, P Quintana-Lopez, P Rennerfeldt*, NM Reyes, IG Rines, C Roberts, DB Robinson, KM Rossa, GJ Ruhlmann, J Schmidt*, JR Sherwood, DH Shonoda, H Soellner*, JC Torrez, M Velide, Z Weinzapfel, AC Ward, KL Bieser, JA Merkle, JC Stamm, RL Tillett and JD Kagey (2021). B.2.16 is a non-lethal modifier of the Dark 82 mosaic eye phenotype in Drosophila melanogaster. microPublication Biology. 17912/micropub.biology.000359
- KL Bieser, J Stamm, AA Aldo, S Bhaskara*, M Clairborne*, JN Coronel Gómez*, R Dean, A Dowell*, E Dowell*, M Eissa, AA Fawaz, MM Fouad-Meshriky, D Godoy, K Gonzalez, MK Hachem, MF Hammoud, A Huffman, H Ingram*, AB Jackman, B Karki*, N Khalil, H Khalil, TK Ha, A Kharel*, I Kobylarz, H Lomprey, A Lonnberg*, S Mahbuba, H Massarani, M Minster, K Molina, L Molitor, T Murray, PM Patel, S Pechulis, A Raja, G Rastegari, S Reeves*, N Sabu, R Salazar, D Schulert, MD Senopole, K Sportiello*, C Torres, J Villalobos, J Wu, S Zeigler, and JD Kagey (2018). The mapping of Drosophila melanogaster mutant A.4.4. microPublication Biology. 17912%2Fmicropub.biology.000069
- J Stamm, GS Joshi, M Anderson, K Bussing*, C Houchin*, AC Elinsky, JT Flyte, N Husseini, D Jarosz, CL Johnson, AF Johnson, CE Jones, TP Kooner, D Myhre*, TN Rafaill, S Sayed, KW Swan, J Toma, and JD Kagey (2019). Genetic mapping of Egfr 3.1, an apparent allele of Egfr, in Drosophila melanogaster. microPublication Biology. 10.17912/micropub.biology.000098
- Publications of student work in Genomics in Research and Medicine (BIOL 455):
- B Lose, A Myers, S Fondse, I Alberts*, J Stamm, JJ Youngblom, CP Rele, and LK Reed (2021). Drosophila yakuba – Tsc1. microPublication Biology. 17912/micropub.biology.000474.
- W Leung, …, J Stamm, AE Fafara-Thompson *, AM Gygi *, EE Ogawa *, M Van Camp *, Z Kocsisova *, …, and SCR Elgin (2017). Retrotransposons are the major contributors to the expansion of the Drosophila ananassae Muller F element. G3: Genes Genomes Genetics 7(8):2439-2460. 1534/g3.117.040907
- W Leung, …, J Stamm, MC Anderson *, BG Bonifield *, D Coomes *, A Dillman *, EJ Durchholz *, AE Fafara-Thompson *, MJ Gross *, AM Gygi *, LE Jackson *, A Johnson *, Z Kocsisova *, JL Manghelli *, K McNeil *, M Murillo *, KL Naylor *, J Neely *, EE Ogawa *, A Rich *, A Rogers *, JD Spencer *, KM Stemler *, AA Throm *, M Van Camp *, K Weihbrecht *, TA Wiles *, MA Williams *, M Williams *, K Zoll *, …, and SCR Elgin (2015). Drosophila Muller F elements maintain a distinct set of genomic properties over 40 million years of evolution. G3 Genes, Genomes, Genetics. 5(5):719-40. 1534/g3.114.015966
- Selected Biology Education Research publications:
- D Lopatto, A Rosenwald, J DiAngelo, A Hark, M Skerritt, M Wawersik, A Allen, C Alvarez, S Anderson, C Arrigo, …, J Stamm …, and S Elgin. (2020). Facilitating growth through frustration: Using genomics research in a Course-Based Undergraduate Research Experience. Microbiol. Biol. Educ. 21(1). 10.1128/jmbe.v21i1.2005
- D Lopatto, AG Rosenwald, RC Burgess, C Silver Key, M Van Stry, M Wawersik, JR DiAngelo, AT Hark, M Skerritt, AK. Allen, …, J Stamm …, and LK Reed (2022). Student Attitudes Contribute to the Effectiveness of a Genomics CURE. Microbiol. Biol. Educ. 10.1128/jmbe.00208-21.
- DI Hanauer, MJ Graham, SEA-PHAGES, L Betancur, A Bobrownicki, SG Cresawn, RA Garlena, D Jacobs-Sera, N Kaufmann, WH Pope, DA Russell, WR Jacobs, Jr., V Sivanathan, DJ Asai, and GF Hatfull (2017). An inclusive Research Education Community (iREC): Impact of the SEA-PHAGES program on research outcomes and student learning. PNAS 114 (51):13531-13536 . 1073/pnas.1718188115
- MM Laakso, LV Paliulis, P Croonquist, B Derr, E Gracheva, C Hauser, C Howell, CJ Jones, JD Kagey, J Kennell, …, J Stamm, …, and SCR Elgin (2017). An undergraduate bioinformatics curriculum that teaches eukaryotic gene structure. 10.24918/cs.2017.13
- D Lopatto, C Hauser, CJ Jones, D Paetkau, V Chandrasekaran, D Dunbar, C MacKinnon, J Stamm, C Alvarez, D Barnard, …, and SCR Elgin (2014). A central support system can facilitate implementation and sustainability of a Classroom-Based Undergraduate Research Experience (CURE) in genomics. CBE Life Sci Educ 13(4):711-23. 1187/cbe.13-10-0200
- CD Shaffer, C Alvarez, C Bailey, D Barnard, S Bhalla, C Chandrasekaran, V Chandrasekaran, H Chung, D Dorer, C Du, …, Stamm, …, and SCR Elgin (2010). The Genomics Education Partnership: Successful integration of research into laboratory classes at a diverse group of undergraduate institutions. CBE Life Sci Educ 9(1):55-69. 10.1187/09-11-0087
- D Lopatto, C Alvarez, D Barnard, C Chandrasekaran, H Chung, C Du, T Eckdahl, AL Goodman, C Hauser, CJ Jones, …, J. Stamm, …, and SCR Elgin (2008). Education Forum: The Genomics Education Partnership. Science 322:684-5. 10.1126/science.1165351
Recent Lab Alumni
- Anthony Kluemper ’22, M.D. program, Indiana University School of Medicine
- Ian Alberts ’21, M.D. program, Southern Illinois University School of Medicine
- Anna McGriff ’20, Ph.D. program in Biochemistry and Structural Biology, University of Alabama at Birmingham
- Kristen Sportiello ’20, M.D. program, University of Rochester Medical Center
- Emilé Moura Coehlo Da Silva ’20, M.S. University of Texas Genetic Counseling Program ‘22
- Brooke (Wininger) Aljandali ’17, D.O. program, Marian University College of Osteopathic Medicine
Room 231, Koch Center for Engineering and Science