Try our Tolkien Course
Experience Dr. Larry Caldwell’s course Tolkien and Fantasy and explore J.R.R. Tolkien’s masterworks.
Tolkien and Fantasy
The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun Part One
Students in this course read and discussed The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, and The Silmarillion and investigated a selection of Tolkien’s sources as well as Tolkien’s own theories of the “Fairy-Story” (as he called Fantasy). The course also examined the author’s legacy as reflected in the first volume of George R.R. Martin’s Song of Ice and Fire.
- Session 8: "The Legend of Sigurd and Gudrun Part One"
- Session 7: "Morris’s Saga of the Volsungs Part Four"
- Session 6: "Morris’s Saga of the Volsungs Part Three"
- Session 4: "Morris’s Saga of the Volsungs Part One"
- Session 3: "The Homecoming of Beorhtnoth Beorhthelm’s Son"
- Session 2: "Giles of Ham"
- Session 1: "On Fairy Stories"
Learn more and connect with Professor Caldwell and Department of English faculty members.