John K. Layer
Assistant Professor of Mechanical Engineering
PhD, University of Louisville
Koch Center Room 273
Professor Layer is an associate professor of mechanical engineering at the University of Evansville. He is a registered professional engineer in Arizona.
- PhD in Industrial Engineering, University of Louisville
- Masters of Business Administration, Arizona State University
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering, University of Evansville
- 20 years of industry experience in mechanical & control engineering, project management, and operations management
- Temporary Instructor, University of Louisville, Industrial Engineering
- Machine Design
- Numerical Methods
- Cognitive Systems Engineering
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Human Factors and Ergonomics Society
Publications: Peer-reviewed Journals
- Sherehly, B., Karwowski, W., and Layer, J. K. 2007. A Review of Enterprise Agility Concepts, Frameworks, and Attributes. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 37, 445-460.
- Jang, R-L., Karwowski, W., Quesada, P. M., Rodrick, D., Sherehly, B., Cronin, S. N., and Layer, J. K. 2007. Biomechanical Evaluation of Nursing Tasks in a Hospital Setting. Ergonomics.50, 1-21.
- Layer, J.K., Karwowski, W., and Furr, A. 2009. The Effect of Cognitive Demands and Perceived Quality of Work Life on Human Performance in Manufacturing Environments. International Journal of Industrial Ergonomics. 39, 413-421.
- Layer, J.K., Gibson, L., and Tipton, J. 2011. The Humanitarian Service Component as a Motivator in Capstone Design Projects. Journal of Engineering Education. (in preparation).
- Layer, J.K., and Karwowski, W. 2011. Employee Performance: Causal Effects of How Employees Think and Feel at Work. The Academy of Management Journal. (in preparation).
Publications: In Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Layer, J.K., and Gwaltney, C. 2009. International Capstone Design Projects: Evaluating Student Learning and Motivation Associated with International Humanitarian Projects. American Society for Engineering Education 116th Annual Conference and Exposition, June 14 – 17, 2009. Austin, Texas, USA.
- Levy, R.M., Nelson, R., and Layer, J.K. 2011. Variable Position Mid-Wheel Drive System for Power Wheelchairs. Rehabilitation Engineering and Assistive Technology of North America (RESNA) Conference, June 5 – 8, 2011, Toronto, Canada. (in preparation).
- Layer, J.K., Karwowski. W., and Furr, A. 2008, An Evaluative Synthesis of Human Performance, Cognitive Demands, and Quality of Work Life in Manufacturing Environments, AHFEI 2008 2nd International Conference of Applied Ergonomics, July 14-17, 2008, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA.