UE Task Force on Race
On February 28, 2018, the President’s Senior Leadership Team met with 14 African American/black students who voiced concerns about their personal experiences at the University of Evansville. From that discussion, President Thomas Kazee and Chief Diversity Officer and Interim Title IX Deputy Coordinator LaNeeca Williams developed a Task Force on Race. The members of the UE Task Force on Race were appointed by Thomas Kazee in March of 2018. The UE Task Force on Race was charged with providing information or recommendations that the University of Evansville needs to make important decisions in regard to diversity and inclusion of African American/black students on April 25, 2018. The University of Evansville held two meetings to begin defining the problem and looking at short-term and long-term goals for the University in the spring of 2018.
The UE Task Force on Race is made up of 50% Professional Staff, Faculty, Administrators, Board of Trustees, Alumni, Community, the President of the University and 50% students representing the diversity of our campus community. Student activism, advocacy, and leadership at UE moves the university towards equity. Students play a key role in the governance of programs at the university. Student led organizations on campus seek to change and inform experiences for racialized and domestic students, staff, and faculty. Engaging with, listening to and learning from students it central to the success of the UE Task Force on Race.
NOTE: The Task Force on Race is meant to be a transparent group but maintains the integrity of its charge through respectful dialogue and the confidentiality of issues that students deem personally painful. Therefore, the names from personal stories will not be shared by Task Force members to protect the identity of students.
Task Force on Race Members
- Al Baity, Board of Trustee Member
- Marks Cannon, Recent Alumni Member
- Jeff Chestnut, Director of Fitness Center
- Dana Clayton, Vice-President of Student Affairs/Dean of Students
- Robert Jones, Board of Trustee Member
- Denise Kincaid-Johnson, Vice Chancellor for Enrollment Services Ivy Tech Community College
- Christopher Pietruszkiewicz, President
- Robert Shelby, Assistant Professor/Sociology
- Valerie Stein, Department Chair/Philosophy and Religion
- LaNeeca Williams, Chief Diversity Officer and Interim Title IX Deputy Coordinator (Chair)