Proficiency/Placement Exams

  • Students who have taken French, Spanish, and German in High School are required to take a placement test before arriving at their SOAR date. Instructions for how to take the placement test have been sent via email from Admissions. Students must choose a language before the test will populate in Blackboard. If you experience technical problems with Blackboard, please contact the Office of Technology Services at for assistance.
  • Students who have received a 4 or a 5 on a French, Spanish, and German AP test will place into French, Spanish, or German 311. Students who get a 4 or a 5 on both the Spanish Literature AP test and the Spanish AP test will place into Spanish 311 and get 3 UE elective credits (not Spanish course credit).
  • Students who believe they have not been placed at the appropriate level should contact the foreign languages department.
  • For students seeking to document proficiency in a language not offered at UE, LTI, Clep, AP test scores, and other college accredited proficiency exams are accepted as documentation of language proficiency pending Registrar and Department approval.
  • For international students who have not gone to high school in the US, the TOEFL exam counts.

Foreign Language Proficiency Test Chart

For more information, please contact Marisa Knox at