UE's High School Changemaker Challenge
The University of Evansville's High School Changemaker Challenge is designed to motivate young people to take a leading role in identifying and solving challenges in the world around them through innovation and creativity. High school students are invited to pitch their ideas to a panel of community leaders and compete for scholarships to UE where they can come to get the support needed to make their ideas become a reality. Watch an interview with Associate Director Erin Lewis and former champion Hannah Jaramillo as they discuss the challenge.
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Location: University of Evansville
Free and Open to the Public: Contact EL131@evansville.edu with questions.
Congratulations to the 2018-2019 Competing teams!
|School Name||Coach(es)||Team Name||Student 1 Name||Student 2 Name||Student 3 Name|
|Benjamin Bosse High School||Amy Hood||Bosse Bulldogs||Robert Lopez||Caroline Haynie|
|Boonville High School||Emily Strahle||ART 4 Life||Hannah Gourley||Lydia Moesner||Kali Taber|
|Castle High School||Emily Garrrett and Jenna Bunner||Hope Park||Megan Laune||Hope Burkins||Molly Eissler|
|Central High School||Ashley Hills & Brad Lamey||P.M.D.||Abby Powers||Olivia Doyle||Will McDonner|
|Charles A Tindley Academy||Ms. Dawson & Ms. Arthur||Business Entrepreneurship||Zaye Wide||Josiah Poole||Deryc Jennings|
|Charles A Tindley Academy||Ms. Dawson & Ms. Arthur||Side walk Side Kicks||Lexus Parker||Chelsea Wilson||Bryce Orr|
|Evansville Christian School||Kim Allen & Keri Stephens||The Canine Remedy||Kira Johnson||Rose Wickersham|
|Evansville Day School||Holly Ziemer & Ashley Swinford||Team Inspire||Danielle Goebel||Cassidy Goebel||Lauren Goebel|
|Evansville North High School||Amanda Rexing & Adam Cooper||NHS Team 3||Sarah (Lilly) Pease||Sydney Judd||Chloe Cooper|
|Evansville North High School||Amanda Rexing||NHS Team 1||Ashlyn Thompson||Jalyn Davis|
|F.J. Reitz High School||Cristopher Collins||Reitz Engineering||Alex||Johnthan Payne||Piper Weythman|
|Forest Park Jr./Sr. High School||Molly Cummings||Team3||Emma Hall||Ethan Hall||Ellie Hall|
|Heritage Hills High School||Elisa Peters||Mind Readers||Summer Skelton||Aubrey Ruxer||Claire Snyder|
|Mater Dei High School||Donna Lefler||RISE||Jenna Fehrenbacher||Macy Nguyen||Grant Schneider|
|Mater Dei High School||Donna Lefler||Traffik||Amelia Duncan||Sarah Duncan||Lucy Harrison|
|New Tech Institute||Linda Schaffer||Time Bank Network||Joshua Casson||Vidit Patel|
|New Tech Institute||Linda Schaffer||Kintsugi||Austin Whitledge||Morgan McDonald||Aubrey Wheeler|
|Reitz Memorial High School||Twayla Carner & Carrie Howe||Blessing Box||Reed Jenkins||Isaac Wetzel||Cody Diefenbaugh|
|Signature School||José Mota||Forgotten Victims||Isabelle Kyle||Kennedy Williams|
|Signature School||José Mota||Evansville GO||Paxton Mosby||Graham Griffin||David Harris|
Each member of the winning team will receive a four-year, full-tuition scholarship to the University of Evansville. Scholarships will also be awarded to the second, third, and fourth ranked teams per student ($5,000, $2,500, and $1,000 respectively for four years).
Scholarship recipients must meet admission requirements for admittance to UE and are expected to continue their work as changemakers at UE. They will be required to submit a two-page report each year on their changemaker activities. Some examples of the ways that changemakers continue their work at UE include:
- Working to implement their Changemaker Challenge project idea.
- Joining the Social Innovation Club.
- Making an impact in the community through other work or other organizations (i.e., Habitat for Humanity, ECO club, ACE Care Clinic, etc.).
- Enrolling in a ChangeLab course where they work on a community issue (alternative energy, infant mortality, urban revitalization, etc.).
- Proposing their own ChangeLab course to address a community need (food waste, infant hearing loss, hydroponics, etc.).
(All times are central time)
- Tuesday, October 16: NEW DATE Optional Check-in with Changemaker Team for advice on final prep. Zac Parsons, TEDx Licensee and Social Entrepreneurship professor, and Allie Poe, Changemaker Student Executive and Accounting & Finance Major, will be on site to provide final prep advice on storyboarding your presentation and figuring out the cost of your ideas. RSVP is required. Sign up online - slots are first come, first serve.
- Monday, October 22: Deadline for submission of electronic materials (PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.)* by 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 23: Optional rehearsal 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. in Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville. Teams will have access to the room on their own for a limited amount of time. Sign up required.
- Wednesday, October 24: Final Competition at UE from 8:30 a.m. to approximately 3:00 p.m. in Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville. The competition is open to the public.