UE's High School Changemaker Challenge
The University of Evansville's High School Changemaker Challenge is designed to motivate young people to take a leading role in identifying and solving challenges in the world around them through innovation and creativity. High school students are invited to pitch their ideas to a panel of community leaders and compete for scholarships to UE where they can come to get the support needed to make their ideas become a reality.
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Location: University of Evansville
Registration: Opens August 15 at 9:00 a.m. CDT on this webpage
- Schools determined on a first come, first serve basis – so register early! Some schools host their own internal competition to determine who gets to represent their school in the competition.
- Limited to one team per school. If any places remain unfilled by Monday, October 1, 2018, at 5:00 p.m. CDT, then we will open it up to more than one team per school.
- All teams must have a teacher, staff, or faculty member point of contact at their school.
- Teams are limited to three members.
- All team members must be present at the competition in order to compete.
Each member of the winning team will receive a four-year, full-tuition scholarship to the University of Evansville. Scholarships will also be awarded to the second, third, and fourth ranked teams per student ($5,000, $2,500, and $1,000 respectively for four years).
Scholarship recipients must meet admission requirements for admittance to UE and are expected to continue their work as changemakers at UE. They will be required to submit a two-page report each year on their changemaker activities. Some examples of the ways that changemakers continue their work at UE include:
- Working to implement their Changemaker Challenge project idea.
- Joining the Social Innovation Club.
- Making an impact in the community through other work or other organizations (i.e., Habitat for Humanity, ECO club, ACE Care Clinic, etc.).
- Enrolling in a ChangeLab course where they work on a community issue (alternative energy, infant mortality, urban revitalization, etc.).
- Proposing their own ChangeLab course to address a community need (food waste, infant hearing loss, hydroponics, etc.).
(All times are central time)
- Friday, June 1: Guidelines made available on this page.
- Wednesday, August 15: Online registration opens at 9:00 a.m.
- Monday, October 1: Registration closes at 5:00 p.m.
- Monday, October 22: Deadline for submission of electronic materials (PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.)* by 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 23: Optional rehearsal at 5:00 p.m. in Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville.
- Wednesday, October 24: Final Competition at UE from 8:30 a.m. to approximately 3:00 p.m. in Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville. The competition is open to the public.