UE's High School Changemaker Challenge
The University of Evansville's High School Changemaker Challenge is designed to motivate young people to take a leading role in identifying and solving challenges in the world around them through innovation and creativity. High school students are invited to pitch their ideas to a panel of community leaders and compete for scholarships to UE where they can come to get the support needed to make their ideas become a reality.
Date: Wednesday, October 24, 2018
Location: University of Evansville
Registration: Opens August 15 at 9:00 a.m. CDT on this webpage
- Due to increased interest, schools can now send as many teams as they want to the initial round!
- Round 1: Each team has to submit a 60 second video entry about their idea by Friday, August 31. Register your team (quick online form available as of August 15) then email video to EL131@evansville.edu by August 31.
- No individual entries, and each team is limited to three members.
- All teams must have a teacher, staff, or faculty member point of contact at their school. That coach can serve as the point of contact for more than one team.
- 20 teams will be selected from Round 1 to compete on campus. The Top 20 will be announced on Wednesday, September 5 by 10:00 a.m. CT.
- Those 20 teams will compete on campus on Wednesday, October 24.
- All team members must be present at the competition in order to compete.
- Each school who registers on time will be guaranteed at least one slot at the October competition.
Each member of the winning team will receive a four-year, full-tuition scholarship to the University of Evansville. Scholarships will also be awarded to the second, third, and fourth ranked teams per student ($5,000, $2,500, and $1,000 respectively for four years).
Scholarship recipients must meet admission requirements for admittance to UE and are expected to continue their work as changemakers at UE. They will be required to submit a two-page report each year on their changemaker activities. Some examples of the ways that changemakers continue their work at UE include:
- Working to implement their Changemaker Challenge project idea.
- Joining the Social Innovation Club.
- Making an impact in the community through other work or other organizations (i.e., Habitat for Humanity, ECO club, ACE Care Clinic, etc.).
- Enrolling in a ChangeLab course where they work on a community issue (alternative energy, infant mortality, urban revitalization, etc.).
- Proposing their own ChangeLab course to address a community need (food waste, infant hearing loss, hydroponics, etc.).
(All times are central time)
- Wednesday, August 15: Online registration opens at 9:00 a.m.
- Wednesday, August 22: Free training and info session on UE’s campus in Eykamp Hall Room 251, Ridgway University Center from 6:00 p.m. – 7:30 p.m. Students will get help with their videos, assistance in coming up with ideas, or guidance on ones they already have. Coaches are welcome to attend, or students can attend without them. RSVP to Erin Lewis (EL131@evansville.edu) by Tuesday, August 21 (no limit on the number of students a school can send – all are welcome).
- Friday, August 31: Team registration (online) and 60 second video entries (emailed to Erin Lewis) due.
- Wednesday, September 5: Top 20 Teams announced.
- Wednesday, September 12: Free training and info session on UE’s campus (Topic: developing a pitch). Details TBD.
- Wednesday, September 26: Free training and info session on UE’s campus (Topic: financial sustainability for your idea). Details TBD.
- Monday, October 15: Optional check-in with Changemaker team for advice on final prep. Details TBD.
- Monday, October 22: Deadline for submission of electronic materials (PowerPoint, Prezi, etc.)* by 5:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, October 23: Optional rehearsal 5:00 p.m. – 9:00 p.m. in Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville. Teams will have access to the room on their own for a limited amount of time. Sign up required.
- Wednesday, October 24: Final Competition at UE from 8:30 a.m. to approximately 3:00 p.m. in Eykamp Hall, Room 251, Ridgway University Center, University of Evansville. The competition is open to the public.
Questions? Facebook LIVE Q&A with Competition Organizer Erin Lewis: Wednesday, August 15th, 8:00 p.m. CT (just find her individual page on Facebook)
- 2017-2018 Championship Presentation (Castle High School)
- 2017-2018 Championship Presentation (Boonville High School)
- 2015-2016 Championship Presentation
- 2016-2017 Championship Presentation