Fellow Scholarship Program
A program aimed at enabling a group of outstanding students of underrepresented racial and ethnic populations to become part of UE’s incoming freshman class as a cohort group. The program is success-driven, with focus points on academic success, overall wellness, and community impact.
- Scholarship: 4-year full-tuition scholarship to attend the University of Evansville.
- Cohort: Fellows become part of a cohort with shared interests and goals that progress through the Fellows program together.
- Support: Fellows are assigned an academic coach to aid in the transition to college. Fellows also have access to a life coach, subject-specific tutors, supplemental instructors, academic success lab, writing center, counseling services, and career development.
Eligibility Requirements and Selection Criteria
- High School Qualifications: Candidates for the Fellow Scholarship must meet or exceed the University of Evansville’s admission standards.
- Interview: Candidates for the Fellow Scholarship will be invited to participate in a panel interview to assess the student’s ability to be successful and contribute to the University of Evansville.
Selection Criteria: As one of fewer than 50 Changemaker Campuses in the world, the University of Evansville attracts students from around the world who want to be changemakers. A changemaker is someone who desires positive change in the world and strives to make that change happen. Changemakers exhibit a high degree of passion and demonstrate a willingness to make a difference. They are creative problem-solvers who are not afraid to try new things. They demonstrate grit and resilience in the face of obstacles. Changemakers are not necessarily the high academic achievers (although they may be that, too). At there core, they are people who show exceptional initiative and motivation and have likely already been involved in making some kind of change at their school or in their community.
Changemakers at UE can be found majoring in just about anything. They are tackling issues such as bullying, the environment, food waste, obesity, alternative energy, infant mortality, and more. They are creating solutions on campus, in the community, and around the world. We are seeking Fellows who want to join this community of changemakers!
- Students must be nominated by partner schools by Friday, December 20, 2019.
- Students must come from underrepresented racial and ethnic populations, meet the general eligibility requirements, and be a fit for the selection criteria.
- Once nominated, instructions will be provided to students about the application process. There is no fee for application.
- Completed applications must be received by Wednesday, January 15, 2020, to be considered for the program and moved on to the panel interview phase. Although financial need is not a requirement, students are also required to submit a FAFSA and include our school code (001795) on it.
- All nominees who are admitted to the University will be invited to visit the campus for Road Trip on Friday, February 21 - Sunday, February 23, 2020 and to engage in a panel interview. Transportation will be provided free of charge, and the fee for the Road Trip program will be waived.
- The interview will focus on the candidate’s ability to articulate characteristics related to:
- Grit and resilience
- Passion, motivation, and drive to make positive change at school, in the community, or in the world
- Creative problem-solving
- A willingness to take risks and learn from doing
- Offers will be extended by March 1, and students will have until May 1 to accept the offer.
Fellow Scholar Requirements at the University of Evansville
Discovery Courses: Once enrolled at the University of Evansville, Fellow Scholars are required to successfully complete the Fellow Scholars Transformative Action and Student Success Strategies courses. These courses are designed to help students explore their passion, purpose, and path to success.
Fellows must meet at least one of the following requirements:
- Service Requirement. Complete 30 community service hours per academic year.
- Scholarly Contribution. Conduct individual scholarly research and present the research during a predetermined campus event.
- ChangeLab. Complete 6 credit hours in ChangeLab courses prior to graduation.
- GPA. To remain eligible, Fellow Scholars must maintain a minimum UE cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Full-time Status. Fellow Scholars must maintain full-time student status (enrollment and completion of at least 12 credit hours per semester).
Progress Reports: Fellow Scholars are required to provide periodic progress reports for all enrolled courses and updates on how they are developing as changemakers at the University of Evansville.
Housing: All first- and second-year Fellow Scholars are required to live on campus.
If you have questions, contact Jill Griffin PhD, interim vice president of enrollment and marketing, at email@example.com or 812-488-2474.