Mask and Face Covering Guidelines
Last Updated: August 12, 2022
UE will remain a mask or face covering-optional community. Current CDC (Centers for Disease Control) guidance does not require universal masking, although it is recommended to wear a mask or face covering in public settings when rates are categorized as “high.” We welcome and support individuals who choose to wear a mask or face covering for extra protection for yourself and others. (Masks or face coverings are still required in healthcare settings.)
Some faculty members may require masks or face coverings in their classrooms. Faculty may request accommodation through the Provost’s office to require masks or face coverings in their classroom.
- Students: contact the Office of Disability Services
- Employees: contact the Office of Human Resources
Use and Care of Mask and Face Coverings
A mask or face covering should:
- Fasten securely with ties or ear loops
- Fit snugly but comfortably
- Include multiple layers
- Allow for breathing without restrictions
- Be able to be laundered
Putting On/Taking Off a Mask or Face Covering
- Wash hands or use hand sanitizer prior to handling the face covering.
- Avoid touching the front of the face covering.
- Do not touch your eyes, nose or mouth when removing the face covering.
- Wash hands immediately after removing.
Care, Storage and Laundering
- Specifically, cloth face coverings may not be used more than one day at a time and must be washed after daily use. They should be replaced immediately if soiled, damaged or visibly contaminated. Keep face covering in a paper bag when not in use. If a paper bag is not available, then an alternative is a plastic Ziploc-style bag.