The UE Data Science Academy 2020 has been cancelled due to the uncertainty surrounding COVID 19. Thank you for your interest in our program and please return to our website in January for updates on the Data Science Academy 2021.
- Students currently in grades 9-11 who have completed or are taking Algebra I.
(Rising sophomores through seniors in July 2020.)
- July 12 - 17, 2020 (CANCELLED)
Overnight, residential students attend from 5:00 p.m. July 12 - 5:00 p.m. July, 17.
Day students attend from 9:00 a.m. July 13 - 5:00 p.m. July, 17. (Early drop-off available)
- The University of Evansville campus, Evansville, Indiana
- $600 for overnight, residential option
$350 for day option
- UEDataAcademy@evansville.edu or 812-488-1234
- Space is limited, so early application is encouraged
What Is Data Science?
Every four seconds, enough data is generated to fill the entire print collection of the Library of Congress. Making sense of that data is the job of a data scientist.
Using a combination of mathematics, computer science, and trend-spotting, data scientists unearth meaningful insights from enormous piles of unstructured information. Their analysis can solve problems, drive better decision-making, and enhance performance. For these reasons, data scientists are employed in nearly every industry and sector, from politics, entertainment, and sports to medicine, technology, and physics—and everything in between.
Data science holds the answers to such questions as:
- Which training methods are most effective for athletes?
- What is the impact of vaccination on the spread of influenza?
- Which genes are linked to disease?
- How does the effectiveness of an advertising campaign vary according to location?
- Who is the most likely author of an anonymously-written letter?
- How can we predict the optimal teaching style for an individual student?
- How can we map the spread of memes?
- Which movie should Netflix suggest next for me?
Want more information about data science and the data science program at UE? Check out the videos below.
The Academy Experience
At the Data Science Academy Powered by EdjAnalytics, students will learn about data science and develop their mathematical abilities in a stimulating and nurturing environment.
All participants will:
- Receive a smart watch to use the duration of the week for GPS data collection
- Take mini-courses taught by University of Evansville mathematics and statistics professors
- Engage in hands-on data science projects
- Learn to use cutting-edge software
- Present data and results by creating interactive apps
- Learn to recognize and critique the use of data in science
- Learn to recognize the misuse and misrepresentation of data
- Collaborate with other quantitatively-oriented students
- Eat lunch in the university’s dining facility
Students in the overnight, residential option will also:
- Have additional time to connect with faculty, mentors, and students
- Take part in additional data science projects
- Participate in fun, nightly activities
- Stay in Jones Hall and eat in Ridgway Dining Hall (see Dining and Housing for more information)