Asbestos Awareness

This notice provides information about asbestos-containing materials on the University of Evansville campus. Asbestos is a common name for naturally occurring minerals that were added to a wide variety of building construction materials such as plaster, floor tile, tile adhesive, and pipe insulation in the past. Asbestos was used to protect life and property because of its excellent heat insulating and fire-retardant properties. However, once some of the health effects of asbestos exposure became known, asbestos was removed from most of these products by the mid-1970s.

Asbestos is only a hazard when small particles become airborne and are inhaled or ingested. Asbestos-containing materials in buildings pose no risk to health unless the materials are disturbed and the asbestos fibers are released into the air. Intact, sealed and undisturbed materials are not a hazard.

All renovation of campus buildings is reviewed in advance by the Office of Facilities Management and Planning to ensure that no asbestos-containing materials are disturbed without proper safeguards to protect people in the area. Work that requires removal or repair of asbestos-containing material or the testing of suspect building products is restricted to trained and qualified personnel only.

We ask that you help us maintain a healthy and safe environment. Please observe the following simple rules:

  • Building materials including plaster, floor tile, tile adhesives, linoleum, and pipe insulation may contain asbestos. Therefore, do not remove, cut, drill, sand, grind or otherwise disturb any material that may contain asbestos.
  • Do not enter building spaces such as attics, crawl spaces and mechanical rooms. Only trained maintenance personnel may enter.
  • Do not install screws, pins, nails or hangers into ceilings or walls.
  • Be careful not to damage walls, ceilings or floors when moving furniture or equipment.
  • Do not brush, sweep or vacuum any damaged insulation.
  • Do not hit, puncture or hang items from insulated (wrapped) pipes.
  • Immediately report damaged building materials to Facilities Management. A staff member will be sent to examine the situation and take corrective action if necessary.

For more information or questions, contact the Manager of Environmental Health and Safety at 812-488-2697.

Office Phone
812-488-2956

Office Email
residencelife@evansville.edu

Office Location
Student Life Center, Second Floor, Ridgway University Center