UE Professor to Make Official Attempt at Breaking World Record for Highest Stack of Tortillas at UE ChangeFest, September 15
Posted: Wednesday, September 13, 2017
On Friday, September 15, the University of Evansville will hold its first ever “ChangeFest” to support programs that are bringing positive change to the world—Mission Guatemala, Cuba Skate, the upcoming Habitat for Humanity build in Guatemala, and more.
Several events will happen simultaneously on UE’s East Terrace Lawn (listed below). The main attraction will be an official attempt to break the Guinness world record for the highest stack of tortillas. All 430+ tortillas used in the attempt were donated by Abraham Brown, owner of the popular and local La Campirana. Professor Mark Valenzuela will use a homemade smokeless stove (similar to the ones UE students will build and install in Guatemalan homes later this year) to fry tortillas before adding them to the stack. The final purple tortilla will be delivered by UE President Tom Kazee in an “epic” fashion. It is estimated to take approximately 30 minutes and 300 tortillas to break the record.
A full list of UE ChangeFest Interactive Stations are as follows:
- World-Recording Breaking Tortilla Stacking: Begins at approximately 4:30, see description above
All following events begin at 4:00 p.m.
- Make Your Own an Adobe Brick: Create an adobe brick like the ones that will be used to build smokeless stoves for families in Guatemala later this year
- Paper Making: Make your own paper from scratch
- Race to Hammer a Nail: Who can hammer a nail into a board the fastest in preparation for the Habitat for Humanity build in Guatemala?
- Skateboard Making Demonstration: A representative from Killer Skate Park will demonstrate skateboard making as a preview to the project that will happen in Cuba later this year.
- Disc Golf—with tortillas! Throw tortillas into disc golf goals and see who can score the most!
- Salsa Dancing: Learn salsa dancing from UE’s Erin Lewis, owner of Evansville Dancesport Academy.
- Making Good Go Viral: This activity will be run by Scott Sherman, an expert on environmental regeneration and the most effective ways to create social progress and innovation. Scott will also be the featured speaker at Saturday’s session, Unleashing Creative Potential. This session is FREE AND OPEN TO THE PUBLIC, but seating is limited, so RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org to guarantee your seat! More info here: https://www.evansville.edu/globalenterprise/creativity.cfm.
- Changemaker Photo Booth: Students will submit stories about the positive changes they’ve made on campus and/or in the world as well as the changes they’d like to see happen.
- Robert Dion to be Invested as UE’s Igleheart Chair in Political Science
- UE Theatre 2018-19 Season Continues with "Colony Collapse"
- UE to Participate in CIC’s Annual Diversity, Civility, and Liberal Arts Institute
- UE’s Environmental Sustainability Challenge Accepting Proposals from Public
- More articles…