Emergency Supply Kit - Being Prepared
Disasters can happen anytime and anywhere. Once a disaster hits you might not have time to gather supplies or respond. It is necessary in some situations to have enough supplies readily available to take care of basic needs.
Residence Life highly recommends each resident living in University owned housing owns an Emergency Supply Kit. This kit should contain supplies for at least three days. In case of an evacuation, store these items in an easy to carry container such as backpack or duffle bag.
Your Emergency Kit Basics
- Water (1 gallon per person for 3 days)
- Food (a 3 day supply of non-perishable packaged or canned food)
- Non-electric can opener and eating utensils (at least a cup, spoon, fork and sharp knife)
- Change of clothing and sturdy shoes (make sure they are weather appropriate)
- Blanket or sleeping bag
- Battery operated radio (Fraternity Houses and Village residents, with the exception of Jones Hall (North Hall), are supplied with a Weather Alert Radio)
- Extra batteries for radio and flashlight
- First Aid Kit
- Sanitation and hygiene supplies (toilet paper, toothpaste, toothbrush, feminine supplies, hand sanitizer etc.)
- Whistle (in case you need to signal for help)
- Any prescription medication, eyeglasses or contacts
- Spare set of car keys
- Cash and/or credit card (In addition, a phone card can be very useful in the event you cannot use your cell phone)
- Copies of important documents (driver’s license or ID, passport/ visa, birth certificate, phone numbers, medical insurance information) in a waterproof case or bag.
- Campus and Area maps