Computing, Streaming, and Digital Cable
Residence Hall Computing – Wi-Fi and Ethernet
All students living in UE residence halls have access to both wireless internet and two Ethernet ports in their rooms. Some rooms have a Wi-Fi access point connected to one of the room’s Ethernet ports. If you need access to that port, do not disconnect the Wi-Fi cord! Contact OTS at 812-488-2077 to add a port (no charge). If you need more than one Ethernet port on one side of the room for multiple devices, it is easy to purchase dumb switches available for a reasonable cost online. Contact OTS at 812-488-2077 if you are unsure about what device to get.
Village Property Computing – Wi-Fi and Ethernet
Students residing in our Village housing have access to high speed internet. See the chart below to find out the type of internet provided for our different units.
|Ethernet||UE Wi-Fi||Cable Modem|
|Townhouses||Yes (living room only)||Yes||No|
|Jones Hall (North Hall)||Yes||Yes||No|
Technology Checklist – What Works Where
|Technology||Works on Ethernet||Works on UE Wi-Fi**||Works on UEsmartnet**|
|Desktops||Yes (best connection)||Yes||No|
|SMART TVs||Yes||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|Blu-Ray||Yes||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|ROKU||Yes with native Ethernet connection||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|Amazon Fire stick||No||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|Apple TV||Yes||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|Xbox / PlayStation||Yes||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|Nintendo||Yes -With USB to Ethernet Adapter||No||Yes – with Mac Address Registration|
|Personal Routers / Access Points||Personal routers and Access Points can interfere with the UE wireless system and network and are not allowed to be used on campus. A multiport dumb switch can be used to increase the number of Ethernet ports in your room. Contact OTS if you are unsure if your device is allowed on the network.|
*Older e-reader tablets may not connect to the UE Wi-Fi due to outdated encryption
**It is recommended to utilize an Ethernet port if your device is equipped for Ethernet. This will offer the best connection and speeds.
Students have a printing account through papercut.evansville.edu
Students are allocated $40 per semester.
Greyscale: 5 cents a page (one sided), 4 cents a page per side (two sided)
Color: 10 cents a page (one sided), 9 cents a page per side (two sided)
Students can recharge their allocation at a reasonable cost through the Bookstore.
Personal Printers & Personal Wi-Fi Printers:
Printers must be directly connected to the computer. Personal Wi-Fi printers cannot be connected through Wi-Fi. Be sure that the printer comes with a USB port for a direct connection with your computer.
Shared Computers and Printers
Each hall contains community computers, one of which is an iMac, for use by any resident.
- Hale Hall has 3 PCs and 1 Mac computer. There is one computer in each floor study Lounge. The hall printer is located in the first floor study lounge.
- Morton/Brentano has 3 PCs and 1 Mac computer. All computers and the hall printer are located in the first floor Brentano computer lab.
- Moore Hall has 43 PCs and 1 Mac computer. All computers and the hall printer are located in the north basement computer lab.
- Schroeder Hall has 3 PCs and 1 Mac computer. All computers and the hall printer are located in the first floor corner lounge.
- Powell Hall has 3 PCs and 1 Mac computer. Honors students have access to free black/white and color printing located in the Honors Lounge in Powell.
Logging in to Wi-Fi
To connect to UEWifi, students enter their AceNet username and password. Your AceNet username will be the first part of your UE email address. For more detailed instructions, refer to the Technology Services Wi-Fi page.
Logging in to UEsmartnet
To connect to UEsmartnet with smart devices or game console you will need to find the wireless MAC address for your device. Then submit a ticket at https://help.evansville.edu under the category Game Console/Smart Device. Once registered your device will be able to connect. If you do not know how to find you MAC address visit the Technology Services Network page to find a guide on getting your wireless mac address.
Streaming Content - Smart TVs and Devices
There are many ways to access streaming digital content. See Technology Checklist – What Works Where.
- Ace Cinema on mobile devices (UE Wi-Fi) or desktop/laptop (UE Wi-Fi or Ethernet).
Streaming content over UE SmartNet and a MAC Address Registration for:
- Smart TVs, Blu-Ray, ROKU, Fire Stick, Apple TV, Xbox/PlayStation, or Nintendo.
Streaming content over Ethernet for:
- Smart TVs, Blu-Ray, ROKU, Apple TV, Xbox/PlayStation, or Nintendo.
- Streaming content on desktop/laptops through an Ethernet connection.
RSA Presents: Ace Cinema
AceCinema is a FREE video streaming service funded through Resident Students Association (RSA). Students can make requests to include their favorite movies and series at RSA General Assembly Meetings every Tuesday at 6:00 p.m.
This service is available to students on our main campus through the UE Wi-Fi network.
Service may vary for students living in some Village Properties and Greek Houses.
Students have two viewing options:
- To view via mobile devices on UE Wi-Fi go to AceCinema.evansville.edu and download the Swank Media App.
- To view via desktop or laptop computers on UE’s Wi-Fi or Ethernet go to https://AceCinema.evansville.edu. (Always type in the “https://” on a desktop or laptop computer)
Digital Cable Services and TVs in Residence Halls
Students have access to digital cable channels in designated common area lounges. Each residence hall has at least two common areas with a public TV. Here are locations of common area TVs:
- Hale Hall has a common area TV located in the first floor game room and another in the lounge adjacent to the kitchen.
- Morton/Brentano has three common area TVs. A big screen TV is located in The Pit lounge. Two smaller TVs are located in lounges next to the hall kitchens.
- Moore Hall has three common area TVs. Two located in main lounges on the first floor and basement, and one in the basement community room.
- Schroeder Hall has a large flat screen TV in the main lounge and others in corner lounges throughout the hall.
- Powell Hall has several common area TVs located in the main lobby and the lounges on the basement, second floor, and third floor.
- Jones Hall has two common area TVs. They are located in the first floor lounges.
- Ridgway has common area TVs located in Rademacher’s Lounge across from the coffee shop on the first floor.
Digital Cable Services and TVs in Village Properties
Village houses, apartments, and townhouses are able to have connections for digital cable. Village units have one or more cable connections depending on floor plans. Students in village housing are responsible for bringing their own digital ready television with a built-in QAM digital tuner.
For assistance with Cable TV in Village Houses, Apartments, and Townhouses contact the OTS Help Desk.