Curricular Practical Training (CPT) Checklist
Before Seeking an Opportunity
- Meet with International Student Advisor and review all requirements for participation in Curricular Practical Training.
- Letter or email from academic advisor or department chair indicating that an internship, co-op or other paid employment-related activity is either required or in the student's best interest. Communication is to be sent to the International Student Engagement and Services Office.
- Meet with a member of the professional staff of Center for Career Development and successfully complete the following: complete EXED 090 preparation course if required, or: Register with Handshake; complete the TruTalent Personality Career Assessment; Prepare a resume; Prepare a cover letter; work as needed on interviewing, dress for success and business communication and participate in Career Fairs.
- Review and discuss any implications of CPT participation with the Office of Student Financial Services.
After Securing a Position
- Work with academic advisor to register for internship course(s) as needed; Or with Center for Career Development to register for internship/co-op course as needed; students must be registered for some kind of course to meet CPT requirements and remain In Status.
- Submit to International Student Engagement and Services office the following: a complete job description, a signed offer letter that outlines all work requirements and meets CPT guidelines.
- Secures all required documentation from International Student Engagement and Services office and communicates with employment site to insure a smooth beginning to experience.
- Meet with all departments such as residence life or other campus services if experience requires adjustments to any contractual arrangements with UE and any effect remaining In Status.
- Submit copy of this completed form to International Student Engagement and Services office.
Starting and Completing an Experience
- Meet all course and employer requirements.
- Maintain contact with all appropriate departments and services, i.e. academic advisor/department, residence life, and, International Student Engagement and Services office.
- Contact International Student Engagement and Services office one week prior to CPT Expiration Date to ensure being In Status.
If at any time during this process you have any questions,
please contact the International Student Engagement and Services office,
Ridgway University Center, 812-488-2279.