Frequently Asked Questions

Below are some of the most common questions we hear about international student admission to the University of Evansville. If your questions are not answered here, please reach out to our office at


Application Questions

How do I apply?

Apply online on our website or via the Common Application. Be sure that the name on the application is the exact name as used on your passport. You may fill out an application online.

You will need to submit the following:

  • High school and/or university transcripts
  • Test scores (SAT, ACT, TOEFL, IELTS, Duolingo) OR an essay
  • Copy of your passport

Find detailed information on the requirements page.

Do I need to take standardized tests?

Not necessarily! You can apply for most majors test-optional.

An SAT or ACT test will be required if you are applying for engineering, nursing or physical therapy. Other majors are not required to take the SAT or ACT, but it is recommended that you take one of these assessment tests if possible.

TOEFL, IELTS, or Duolingo test results can determine English proficiency for those majors that do not require an SAT or ACT.

If you intend to participate on a Division I athletic team, you must take the Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT). Your eligibility is based on a combination of your high school GPA and SAT test scores as determined by the NCAA Clearinghouse.

What are my chances of acceptance?

The University looks for international students who have successfully completed their country's full sequence of preparatory studies and examinations required for high school graduation, who have strong academic achievements, are fluent in English and likely to succeed academically at the University of Evansville.

What are my chances for a scholarship?

Almost all international students at the University of Evansville receive some scholarship. You will be informed of your merit scholarships with your admission decision, and then expected to show sufficient financial support to pay the remainder of costs to attend the university in order to get your I-20 form for your student visa.

What are the deadlines to apply?

We take applications on a rolling basis, but recommend that you complete your application by June 1 for a fall start and November 1 for a spring start in order to have enough time to complete the visa process.

How long will it take until I know if I have been admitted?

As soon as we have your application, proof of English proficiency (TOEFL, IELTS, SAT or ACT), academic records, we will move quickly to determine your admission status. You should hear from us within 1-2 weeks after your file is complete.

How do I transfer credits?

Complete documentation will include a professional translation (for languages other than English) of your transcript and course descriptions. If your degree is from a university outside the U.S., the best approach will be to have your degree assessed by a professional academic evaluation service. The university should receive the assessment directly from the evaluation service. For accreditation services accepted by the university, please contact

Admitted Student Questions

What is next now that I am admitted?

You will be asked to provide financial support documentation for us to be able to issue the I-20 form needed for you to apply for a student visa. You will work with International Student Services on the visa process. We will also ask that you pay your $300 admission deposit to set your place at the university.

How much money do I need?

You must show proof of ability to pay for tuition, room, meals, fees, insurance, as well as your personal expenses. We will provide a detailed list and total amount of what you will need to show financially with your admission decision.

To view the current expenses: view a complete breakdown of international tuition.

Can I earn money in the US?

Do not count on working in the United States to fund your education. Off-campus jobs are generally not permitted on your student visa. On-campus positions are available to you but also have limits on the amount you may earn and hours you may work.

How do I apply for a visa?

After receiving your I-20 or DS-2019 from the University of Evansville, pay your SEVIS fee at, locate the nearest U.S. Embassy and schedule a visa appointment.

Take all of your original academic documents and financial statements along with our letter of acceptance, I-20, passport and SEVIS fee receipt. Consult the individual Embassy's website for more information. Each embassy will provide a list of the documents to bring.

Do I need health insurance?

Yes. You may not register for classes until you show proof of medical insurance. Even with medical insurance, you may still incur minimum medical expenses above the insured amount.

Academics Questions

What degrees are offered?

A full description of the degrees and programs of study at the University of Evansville are available on the academics pages.

Can I change majors?

No problem! American education allows students to change their minds about their majors or courses of study. However, it is important for international students to choose the major that best fits their intended field of study when they apply for admission as it may impact their ability to get a visa if they are "undecided". Students may change their course of study at any time as long as they meet the requirements for that particular field of study.

How long does it take to earn a degree?

The majority of students will earn a degree within four years. A transfer student must complete at least 48 credit hours with the University of Evansville, and specifically, the last 15 credit hours must be done on the UE campus.

Can I study abroad at Harlaxton College?

Yes! Harlaxton College offers semester and summer study abroad options to UE students. Your academic advisor can assist you with determining when will work best in your academic plan, and you can find out more information on the Harlaxton website.

Parents Questions

What are the costs of my student attending UE?

You can find a full breakdown of international student costs online, but keep in mind that your student will likely receive some merit scholarship as well. Your student will be expected to show financial support documentation to be able to get a visa.

How safe is Evansville and the university?

UE and Evansville are both safe and welcoming communities. You can find safety statistics on our website and more information about the team and systems that keep our campus secure.

What are the certifications and accreditation of the University of Evansville?

The University of Evansville is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, and different degrees and schools hold other prestigious accreditations, rankings and certificates.

Office Phone:


Office Email:

Office Location:
1800 Lincoln Ave., Evansville, Indiana 47722