Honors Program Application and Selection Process
All students are welcome to apply for admission to the Honors Program, either at the time of their application to the University or after admission. Students who meet the following qualifications are more likely to be admitted to the Honors Program:
- High school applicants – unweighted GPA of 3.5 or above and minimum SAT of 1360 or minimum ACT of 29
- Transfer applicants – cumulative college grade point average of 3.5 of above
- International freshmen applicants - unweighted GPA of 3.5 or above and minimum TOEFL of 80 or minimum IELTS of 6.5 or minimum SAT of 1360+ or minimum ACT of 29
- International transfer applicants - cumulative college grade point average of 3.5 or above
Students may apply to the Honors Program at the time of their application to the University by marking the appropriate box on the application form. You may also choose to apply after your admission to the University. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 1-833-BeAnAce (1-833-232-6223), for application access to be sent to you. Honors Program applications may be submitted on-line or by postal mail. Space is limited in the Honors Program. Therefore, you should submit your application as early as possible.
A writing sample is required along with the application. The writing sample should be an argumentative or informative paper that represents a student’s best research and writing and has been submitted for a high school or dual-credit class. This essay should be:
- analytical (not narrative or creative writing)
- researched--incorporate quotations from cited sources (fiction or nonfiction or both)
- between 2-8 pages in length
Applicants to the Honors Program will be reviewed by a faculty committee. The committee will consider grade point average, curriculum, class rank, writing sample, and standardized test scores. The committee meets monthly beginning in the fall semester to review Honors Program applications. Therefore, you can expect to be notified of an admission decision within a month or two after applying.
Current UE students
Current UE students may also apply for admission to the Honors Program. It is best to apply before the end of the sophomore year to allow enough time to complete the program requirements. Current students should complete the Honors Program Current Student application found on the University's Self Service portal, provide a writing sample, and submit a letter of recommendation from an academic advisor or professor.