These eBooks have been purchased by UEL and are available only to the UE community. If you have problems accessing a title, please contact the Reference Desk at 812-488-2482.
- eBooks via Ebscohost - Subject collections available through this site include: Anthropology & Archaeology; Biology & Life Sciences; Emerging Markets/Global Economics; Environment & Sustainability; International Business; Math & Statistics; and Nursing.
- eBooks via Project Muse - Over 600 eBooks covering subjects in the humanities, arts and social sciences.
- Columbia Gazetteer of the World - A dictionary of geographic terms; major categories are the political world (countries, provinces, regions, etc.), the physical world (gulfs, valleys, mountains, etc.), and special places (airports, military bases, parks, etc.).
- Literary Criticism Online - Contemporary Literary Criticism, Drama Criticism, Classical and Medieval Criticism, and 20th-Century Literary Criticism
- Oxford English Dictionary - The accepted authority on the evolution of the English language over the last millennium and is an unsurpassed guide to the meaning, history, and pronunciation of over half a million words, both present and past.
- Oxford Reference Online - brings together language and subject reference works from one of the world's biggest reference publishers into a single cross-searchable resource. Subjects include classics, computing, environment, biology, performing arts, and many more.
- Oxford Scholarship Online - Oxford Scholarship Online is an online library offering access to thousands of academic works from the celebrated scholarly list of Oxford University Press. UEL provides access to a portion of OSO’s content: business, management, economics, finance, literature, philosophy, religion, sociology. You can browse and search to your heart’s content or you can limit your search to sources UEL has access to. Do this by narrowing a search to unlocked, free and open access content on the left sidebar.
- Magill's Literary Annuals - essay-reviews of 200 outstanding books published in the US during the previous year.
- The 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s & 90s in America & Great Events from History - the complete history of each decade.
These websites are gateways to collections of free, full text books. Some require downloading, but many are viewable online. Most of the texts are in the public domain and free of charge.
- ALEX - A collection of digital documents in the subject areas of English literature, American literature, and Western philosophy.
- Bartleby.com - Great books online.
- Bibliomania.com - Classic fiction.
- Digital Public Library of America - The DPLA brings together the riches of America’s libraries, archives, and museums, and makes them freely available to the world.
- Europeana - Explore the digital resources of Europe's museums, libraries, archives and audio-visual collections.
- Google Books Search - Google offers nearly 3 million free e-books from the public domain.
- Indiana Authors and Their Books - full text books from Indiana authors who lived and published between 1850 and 1949.
- Internet Classics Archive - 441 works of mostly Greco-Roman literature.
- Online Books Page - Full text books available for reading free on the Internet from the U of PA Library.
- Open Library - Open Library is an online site of over 1 million books and is part of the Internet Archive. Not all of the titles are available in digital format—some records link to WorldCat where library holdings of physical copies can be viewed.
- Project Gutenberg - The original collection of volunteer-keyed online texts which are available for downloading.
- UVa Digital Text Collections - Maintained by the University of Virginia.