Requesting an Official Excused Absence from the Dean of Students Office
The Dean of Students Office is able to issue official excused absences from class for limited reasons. Here are some things to keep in mind when making a request:
- For any non-COVID related absence, you must complete the Excused Absence Request Form.
- We will always need to receive official documentation supporting your request in order to process your submission.
- Our office can excuse missed class if it falls under our policy; we cannot excuse assignments, missed exams, or events required for a course. That requires a discussion with your faculty member(s).
- You are required to complete the COVID-19 Reporting Form if you test positive.
Examples of absences that are excused:
- Doctor Ordered Quarantine
Examples of absences not excused:
- Regularly scheduled doctor’s appointment
- Sick day without doctor’s note that excuses you for the specific date you are requesting
- Car trouble, etc.
In instances where you are not excused by our office, we encourage you to still work with your faculty to discuss your options.
Our excused absence policy is provided below. More information can be found in the Student Handbook.
Per University policy, an official excused absence is only considered upon review of appropriate documentation indicating a significant medical or psychological illness that requires hospitalization or doctor-ordered quarantine. Significant personal reasons can be considered in the cases of severe family illness, loss of family member, and observances of religious holidays. If an official excused absence is granted, professors will be notified by the Dean of Students office.
It is the student’s responsibility to take the initiative by consulting with the instructor regarding the absence and to do what is required by the instructor to make up all the missed assignments or examinations.
For all other situations that don’t meet the criteria above (including health or medical issues that do not require hospitalization or doctor-ordered quarantine), students are advised to work directly with professors in regards to class attendance. While this office can verify medical documentation is on file, if provided by the student, this type of situation does not meet the criteria for an official excused absence. It is at the professors' discretion as to how absences of this nature are handled.
Students must complete this form and provide supporting documentation within 7 days of the absence.
Official excused absences for students attending conferences and programs may also be granted but those requests must be received at least 10 days in advance and directly from faculty and advisors overseeing the conference or program. Official excused absences are not granted during the period of final exams.