Frequently Asked Questions

A compilation of the questions our parents and families most often ask, along with helpful information and answers from those on campus who can best assist and explain.

About Evansville

With the mighty Ohio River flowing as its southern border, Evansville thrives as a bustling center of activity. This financial, medical, educational, and cultural arts center of the Indiana, Illinois, and Kentucky Tri-State area is geographically located near the nation’s population center and is less than 200 miles away from four major US cities (176 miles southwest of Indianapolis, IN; 156 miles north of Nashville, TN; 126 miles west of Louisville, KY; and 174 miles east of St. Louis, MO.)

Since its incorporation as a city in Vanderburgh County in 1847, Evansville has grown to become the third largest city in Indiana (with more than 171,000 people in the greater Evansville area). Evansville observes Central Standard Time from the last Sunday in October to the first Sunday in April and Central Daylight Time the balance of the year. The area has four distinct seasons and a moderate climate with average monthly temperatures ranging from 32° F to 78° F. The annual average precipitation totals approximately 42 inches of rain and 13 inches of snow.

Learn more about Evansville.

Academics and Majors

My child is uncertain about a major. Is this a problem?

It is more common for students to be unsure of their major than to be certain. In fact, the brightest students often have multiple interests and talents, causing uncertainty about career direction. At least 60 percent of the students who enter UE with declared majors change to another major at least once. Our dedicated team of academic advisors, along with the Center for Career Development, will assist students in exploring their interests and options, while keeping them on track for graduation. Our general education requirements are designed to allow students to explore many disciplines, while concurrently working toward the degree requirements for virtually any UE degree. Formal changes of major are made in the Center for Academic Advising and are official at that time.

My child is interested in music/theatre/art. Are there special admission procedures or scholarships for these programs?

Students who wish to major in music or theatre must audition to gain admission into the program and to be considered for a talent-based scholarship. Students who would like to be considered for a scholarship in art need to present a portfolio, but art majors are not required to submit a portfolio to be accepted into the department. Students who wish to major in another academic area but continue to pursue their love of the arts, will find many opportunities for this outlet at UE.

For more information about admission procedures for these areas, please visit the links below.

Does UE accept “dual credits” from other colleges that my child earned while still in high school or in the summer after high school?

UE accepts another college’s credit for which a grade of C or higher was earned, if an equivalent course is offered at UE. The number of credits accepted for entering freshmen is liberal, while the credits are limited to 10 after the student has already matriculated at UE.

Does UE accept the College Board’s Advanced Placement Tests?

UE grants credit from an AP test for scores of four or higher.

What about the International Baccalaureate?

Scores of five or better for a higher level subject are required for UE credit from IB courses.

How can my child “test out” of courses at UE?

All entering freshmen will attend a program in the summer prior to their freshman year called Summer Orientation and Academic Registration (SOAR). During this weekend, students will have the opportunity to take placement tests. In some cases the tests serve to place the student in the proper level of a course. In other cases, the tests allow students to show proficiency in a subject, and therefore enroll in a higher level course or be exempt from taking the course altogether. In a few cases, the test may alert the Office of Academic Advising that a student needs special assistance, such as a tutor for math or writing.

Adjusting to College Life

How much spending money is needed?

How much money to spend will be different for each student. Spending an average of $75 - $100 per month, or $10 - $20 per week is fairly typical; however, a student will expect to be able to spend what he or she has become accustomed to spending while at home. It is strongly advised that you work out a budget with your child before the year begins. Some parents find it helpful to set up a bank account for their child to which the parent also has access, so parents may help track spending and add money as necessary. This can be a good way to teach your student about the realities of personal finance, as well, if they have not yet had experience with managing money on their own.

Is my child required to have his/her own computer?

Only students majoring in one of the programs in the School of Engineering and Computer Science are required to have their own computers. The University of Evansville offers numerous computers for student use in labs throughout campus, for students who do not have their own computer.

If my student chooses to bring a computer, are laptops or desktops a better option?

The University has a wireless network throughout campus, making laptops more adaptable to the campus environment. However, students should choose the type of computer that they are most likely to use regularly and with which they are already most comfortable.

How often should students come home?

Students will probably not come home very often, choosing rather to come home during longer breaks such as Thanksgiving and Christmas. As a parent, you can foster and support your student’s success in college by actively encouraging them to stay on campus as much as possible and get involved. You will be amazed at how much they grow. Each student will adapt to college life at different times, and it is certainly not uncommon for students to become homesick. Moving to campus is simply the first big step toward a life of their own, and they will need to learn how to adapt and adjust gradually. They should know that they are not alone, but you should discourage frequent visits home.

If your student does become homesick, the University offers this advice:

  • DO stay in touch with your student! Frequent emails and calls will help.
  • DO encourage the student to get involved socially and academically. With more than 130 student organizations and clubs on campus, it’s easy to become a part of what’s happening!
  • DO NOT encourage an early visit back home. Such a visit has been shown to actually increase the feelings of homesickness once the student returns to campus.
  • DO visit your student here on campus early in the semester. Family Weekend is held toward the end of September and is a great opportunity to visit.

If your student’s homesickness persists or seems serious or debilitating, inform an Office of Residence Life staff member.

What are generally the most difficult adjustments for students?

One of the most difficult adjustments for students is managing their time. College is very different from high school, no matter how prepared students think they may be. There are always difficulties with adjusting to classes and the time they have to do what they need and want to do. It is important to be open to that.

How often should we communicate?

There is no right or wrong amount of communication; however, we generally suggest you plan a weekly call or daily email, but let the student ultimately discover the frequency with which they are comfortable contacting you. Remember that students should be busy making friends, studying, finding their place on campus, and adjusting to newfound independence. As they become more comfortable at UE and with their new campus life, more routine communication patterns with home should emerge. Do not be surprised to discover, however, with email and instant messaging, that you may actually communicate more than you did when your student lived at home!

How should we communicate?

Email is a great way to stay in touch. Handwritten letters and packages from home are always a joy to receive. Things that come only from home, like a local newspaper, are great ways for students to continue to feel connected. It is beneficial, when you leave your student at UE for the beginning of the year, to have a plan in place as to how and when you plan to talk, email, instant message, etc. As a student's college career continues, this plan may change, but contact with (and support from) home and family will always remain important.

Campus Living

Can my student have a car on campus?

Currently, all students are allowed to have a car on campus, but they must purchase a parking permit to be able to use University parking areas. The annual cost for a parking permit is $50.

How safe is the University of Evansville campus?

The University is committed to providing as safe and secure an environment as possible for all members of the campus community. Unfortunately, there are no risk-free environments. Although the record for personal safety on our campus has been outstanding for many years, some incidents have occurred. To assist in the prevention of such incidents a competent residence life staff and trained security staff are on-duty 24/7. An evening escort service is available and there are also 18 emergency phones located throughout the campus that dial directly to the Office of Public Safety. An Annual Security and Fire Safety Report is available that provides statistics for the previous three years.

Career Development Resources

What should my student be doing to keep on track with their career development?

A Lifelong Guide for Career Development

What does the University do to help my student with career development?

Summary of Career Services

Will my student find a job after graduation?

Of course, no University can guarantee employment following graduation – and job placement is not the primary focus of any institution of higher learning. However, the results from our annual surveys of alumni following graduation from UE are good: 94% of the Class of 2017 were employed or in graduate school within months of graduation.

Of course, employment and career choices are far more complicated than charting information from people who complete surveys. A student’s personal choices about their academic options, internship participation, campus involvement, study abroad and leadership are the important critical variables that affect employment. It would not matter which institution a student attended if they did not attempt to make the most of their opportunities and actively engage their academic curriculum. Higher education environments are not passive places where the name of the institution alone substitutes for accomplishment and the development of critical skills.

The many benefits of the University of Evansville lie in the richness of the opportunities, the depth of options, and the connection students make with their faculty and resources. With its emphasis on citizenship, study abroad, and experiential education, the University does more than produce employees; it graduates the next generation of leadership for tomorrow’s workplace, wherever and however that may be. As a truly international education institution, UE prepares students for their best job, not just their first job.

Financial Aid Information

Where can I find Financial Aid Information?

The Office of Student Financial Services is eager to assist the parents of both prospective and currently enrolled UE students in understanding how to apply for and renew all forms of financial aid. Please visit the Student Financial Services area of our website where you will find information about merit-based scholarships, need-based grants, and student and parent loans.

Harlaxton College and Study Abroad

What is Harlaxton College?

Harlaxton College, located in Grantham, England, has been rated #1 in the nation by Harlaxton offers an excellent opportunity for students in most disciplines to spend a semester abroad. Harlaxton is a nineteenth-century manor house in the English East Midlands, just an hour north of London. Students live, eat, study, work, and play on the extensive and beautiful grounds of the Harlaxton campus. A full staff provides support and service on campus, including a student affairs office, a college nurse, and an IT technician.

The British Studies course in which all Harlaxton students enroll is an exploration of British history, culture, and identity. The course is taught by the permanent British Faculty of Harlaxton College. Each semester, American faculty from the University of Evansville and our partner colleges go to Harlaxton College to courses in a variety of disciplines. Classroom instruction is supplemented by field trips to historic locations in the United Kingdom as well as optional excursions to cities such as Paris, Rome, and Florence.

To learn more about the long tradition of Harlaxton College, please visit

What other study abroad opportunities are offered by the University of Evansville?

For students who wish to spend a second semester abroad or who choose to study at another site for academic or cultural interests (international studies and language majors/minors, for example), there are other program options. The University of Evansville has reviewed and approved more than 100 programs managed by other colleges, universities, and organizations.

Students may choose from options during the academic year or a variety of faculty-led summer programs abroad each summer.

How many undergraduates study abroad?

Nationally, between one and two percent of undergraduates study abroad. At the University of Evansville, we have a study abroad participation rate of over 50 percent, as determined by Open Doors, a publication of the Institute of International Education. This percentage places UE among the top 10 of all master-degree granting universities in the United States. The majority of UE students study at Harlaxton College but many students are engaged at other locations.

Can students who study abroad graduate in four years?

Yes! With timely academic and financial planning, those who study abroad stay on track for graduation in four years. We recommend that students begin planning in their first semester on campus. Parents, academic advisors, the student financial services office, and the study abroad office should all be included in that planning process.

When is the best time for my son or daughter to study abroad?

For each student, the best time to study abroad depends on a number of factors (curricular, financial, professional, and personal), but the following are general guidelines:

  • 80 percent of UE students who study at Harlaxton College do so in their sophomore year. Certain departments have established a designated Harlaxton semester for students in their majors (e.g., engineering majors in the fall semester of the sophomore year; nursing majors in the fall semester of the senior year). International studies majors and students pursuing language study are likely to study abroad in the sophomore or junior year.
Which majors expect students to study abroad?

Only international studies majors and language majors are required to study abroad, and many choose to study one or two semesters at the site of one of our approved programs. The University of Evansville encourages ALL students to explore study abroad. Through our Harlaxton program, we offer courses that should fit into the four-year plan of most UE students.

For students who declare or change majors later in their undergraduate careers, or who for other reasons are unable to spend a full semester or academic year abroad, UE faculty lead a variety of summer programs abroad each year, and Harlaxton College offers a five-week summer session.

How much does it cost for my student to study abroad?

The semester tuition, room, board, and fees for the University of Evansville’s Harlaxton College are virtually identical to those on the Evansville campus. Additional expenses to the student include the cost of a passport, round-trip airfare, personal travel while abroad, and other discretionary expenses. In most cases, the financial aid package of a University of Evansville student is applied to the Harlaxton semester campus charges just as it is to the Evansville campus semester charges. This includes work-study awards and tuition exchange.

UE charges and the use of UE financial aid for semester-length study abroad are designed to be as consistent as possible with the way charges and aid are administered on the Evansville campus. All non-Harlaxton study abroad students are charged the UE the services fee and the UE rate for tuition, room, and board unless the program provider assesses a higher rate for any of these items; in that case, the student is also charged for the extra amount. Room and board charges depend on the student’s status prior to departure as well as options available for room and board while abroad. For most students spending a semester abroad on a UE approved program at another site, financial aid will be applied as it is on campus with a few important exceptions. Among those exceptions: work-study awards do not apply to study abroad at any site other than Harlaxton. Tuition exchange does not apply to study abroad at any site other than Harlaxton.

There are also a number of UE faculty-led summer programs. These programs are typically very reasonably priced. Financial aid does not apply to summer programs. Financial aid is not awarded for summer programs either on campus or abroad.

Students and parents are advised to consult with the Student Financial Services office for specific details as they relate to the individual student.

Housing and Meals

Are all students required to live on campus?

Students entering as freshmen must reside on campus for a minimum of two academic years or the equivalent of four full term semesters.

Transfer students with fewer than 60 academic credit hours earned at previous institutions (excluding bridge, early-college, dual-credit, and advanced placement credit) are required to live on campus or in University-sponsored housing.

Exemptions to this policy can be found on the residence life web pages dealing with the Residency Requirement.

Juniors, seniors, and graduate students who have met their residency requirement are welcome and encouraged to live on campus. This makes for a positive mix of fresh ideas, peer mentoring, and the passing down of community traditions. Space is available in residence halls, the Villages, and Greek housing.

For information regarding financial aid impact for students entering as freshmen, visit the Student Financial Services area.

How are roommate matches determined?

Most freshmen do not begin at UE knowing a roommate, and therefore, allow our Office of Residence Life to make the assignment. We use a variety of personal preferences in an attempt to be make the best assignments and avoid obvious mismatches. If your student and a friend also attending UE would like to be roommates, their request will be honored, as long as it is mutual and is submitted by early June.

Can meal plans be changed?

Fall: Change your plan up to the first Wednesday of the first full week of school.
Spring: Change your plan up to the first Friday of the first full week of school.

Where can I find out more about living on campus?

Visit the residence life website. You’ll find all you might want to know about living on campus. A handy link to the residence life section of the Student Handbook is located there too.

Student Activities and Involvement

What clubs, student organizations, and activities are available at UE?

List of campus clubs and organizations.

Will participation in extracurricular activities hurt my student’s grades?

Research shows that active students get better grades and experience a lower drop-out rate than those students who do not participate in activities outside of the classroom. This statistic holds true up to approximately 20 hours per week spent in a combination of extracurricular involvement and work. Beyond 30 hours per week, academic performance tends to be negatively affected.

How can I find out if my child can play on an athletic team?

The University of Evansville competes at the NCAA Division I level in the Missouri Valley Conference. Some of our sports are highly selective, recruit nationally, and offer full-ride scholarships. However, other sports, while competitive regionally, offer the opportunity for students to participate as a walk-on. In all cases, a dialogue must begin with the coach. Find out more about Aces athletics at To complete a student-athlete questionnaire that will be forwarded to the coach, click on “Play for the Aces” on the website.

Office Phone:

Office Email:

Office Location:
Alumni House 525 S. Rotherwood Ave