Disability Accommodation

Students that have a documented disability or a health concern that requires specific housing arrangements may request a reasonable accommodation in housing. Students should complete all of the following to request this accommodation:

  1. Indicate accommodation needs on the Housing and Food Service Contract.
  2. Complete a Request for Accommodation in Housing form and submit it to the Office of Residence Life
  3. Provide documentation from a relevant physician, psychologist, physical therapist, audiologist, social worker or other appropriate licensed professional. This documentation should describe the condition requiring the accommodation, the current impact of the condition in relation to the request, and the level of need for the requested accommodation and the consequences of not receiving it (1-10 scale).

Received documentation will be reviewed by the Office of Residence Life in consultation with the disability services coordinator. All information submitted will be treated as confidential. The University's evaluation of these requests is based on the severity of the condition, the timing of the request, and the feasibility and availability of modifications or space requested.

Note: Requests for single rooms as an accommodation based solely on a desire to have a “quiet, undisturbed place to study” are generally not granted. The University provides quiet study areas in the residence halls and in the library.

Written requests should be submitted as early as possible to allow adequate time to make arrangements or modifications as appropriate.

Download the Request for Accommodation form

Emotional Support Animal Protocol and Agreement

It is recognized that emotional support animals can provide valuable support to students with properly documented disabilities. Since the animal is not a service animal as defined by the Americans with Disabilities Act, the University needs to review documentation to determine if the request for this accommodation is a reasonable and appropriate accommodation under the Fair Housing Act.

The University will work with students to help define the role and the place of emotional support animal(s) at the University of Evansville. A requesting individual should provide the Disability Services office appropriate documentation at least 30 days before prospective housing will be needed for the emotional support animal. Written requests should be submitted to Debbie Brenton, Disability Services Coordinator and ADA Coordinator for students.

For additional information regarding housing accommodation requests, please contact:

Brian Conner
Assistant Director of Residence Life
UC 229 - 812-488-2956

For general questions and support related to Disability Services, emotional support animals or to request an academic accommodation, please contact:

Debbie Brenton
Coordinator/Disability Services
UC 205 – 812-488-2663

Office Phone:

Office Email:

Office Location:
Student Life Center, Second Floor, Ridgway University Center