All University residence halls will close during Winter Break.
The Office of Residence Life requests that all students depart by Noon on Thursday, December 10 as all students living in the residence halls must vacate their rooms during Winter Break. Residence Halls officially close at Noon on Thursday, December 10 and all exterior door locks will be changed at that time.
Requests for a one-day extension can be found and submitted online, and are due no later than Wednesday, November 25. Approval is subject to room and hall availability, and comes with a cost of $35 per night.
Please note that students will not be able to re-enter their rooms over the break; thus, it is important to bring home anything needed during this period. Before you leave, a blue checklist will be taped to door.
Follow items on the checklist and last person to leave, sign and tape to your door to let staff know the room is empty for the break
Some checklist items are:
- Move furniture away from heating and cooling units. Facilities staff will be doing checks on all heating and cooling units over the break. Please be sure that there is enough clearance for work to be done. Refer to label on unit for specific distance.
- EVERYTHING in your room must be unplugged (including the refrigerator). Exceptions are for aquarium fish.
- Empty and defrost your fridge 48 hours before you leave. Unplug it, open the door, use a towel or container to get rid of water, and leave it open for break. Make sure to hang up any damp towels before you leave to avoid mold. There are more detailed instructions on the Closing Bulletin Boards.
- Take out your trash and clean your room. This is to reduce the risk of pests and help with unforeseen maintenance concerns. We especially need the area in front of the AC/Heating unit free so it can be accessed by maintenance.
- Dirty dishes and laundry need to be cleaned and all open food thrown away.
- Put your blinds/shades down halfway and if you have blinds, turn to close them partially.
- If applicable, turn your heat to around 70 degrees (or the middle of the dial, whichever applies). The fan should be put on low or auto, whichever applies to your thermostat.
- Turn your lights off.
- Take everything home that you need for break. There will be limited staff on campus to help.
- Close and lock your windows. Lock your door.
Safety Tips during Winter Break
- Take home valuables to guard against unforeseen damage or theft
- Report security issues (such as doors or windows that don’t lock) to the Physical Plant well before break, so they can be fixed prior to your departure.
- We recommend that Village residents purchase lamp timers to guard against unforeseen damage or theft
- Insure any property brought to school through homeowners insurance or independent personal property insurance. Two companies that specialize in student personal property insurance are:
All University dining locations will close on Wednesday, November 25. Café Court re-opens with dinner on Sunday, January 17, 2021. Meals on January 18 (MLK Day) will consist of Brunch and Dinner. Regular meal service hours will resume the following morning for all locations.
Winter Housing – Residence Halls
Students participating in official University functions or other approved activities have the opportunity to apply for Winter Housing. To be considered, please submit this on your “Should I Stay or Should I Go” form, sent to all students by email.
All Winter Housing options are located in Morton Hall and are available for a flat fee. These rooms are assigned based on room availability and this program is subject to change due to COVID-19 precautions.
Winter Housing – Village Properties
Students living in the Village properties may be eligible to stay in their housing units over Winter Break without charge (subject to change subject to COVID-19 precautions).
If you plan to stay in your Village housing unit over Winter Break, we ask that you please provide us with information on your “Should I Stay or Should I Go” form, sent to all students by email. This information is helpful in case of emergency as well as planning.
Students Not Returning
If you are not returning in January you must complete an express Check-Out. Failure to check out properly and return keys will result in a $75 administrative fee for improper checkout and a door re-core.
- A key envelope with a checkout link will be taped to your door soon.
- All of your possessions must be completely out of the room and hallway.
- All furniture must be back to its original configuration in the room if both roommates are leaving and the room will be unoccupied. Vacuum and dust.
- No poster putty or tape residue must be left on the walls.
- Trash must be taken to trash room.
- Submit your Self-Checkout Form (link on your key envelope).
- Damages will be assessed after you fully move out. You may be charged if a damage is not indicated on the original check-in condition (if you think you’ll be charged for something and want more information, talk to your RC).
- If you do not check-out properly, you will be charged $50 for an improper check-out and $25 for an unreturned key. Each person must check out individually—you cannot just give your key to your roommate and leave.
- If you are leaving the country to never return to UE [international students usually], please talk to the RC to ensure that you get your housing deposit back if you have one.
- Change your address in Self-Service so mail is forwarded correctly.
- If you need storage, you will need to fill out a waiver and label everything with the proper labels. An RA can provide both to you. You need to schedule an appointment to put these things in storage. No furniture, stand fans, lamps, or carpets are allowed in storage, unless they fit in a box.
- Unplug, clean and return your MicroFridge (if you rented one) on Reading & Study day. Contact your Hall Staff by posted deadlines if you want to use one of the storage closets for the summer.
Residence halls re-open at 3:00 p.m. on Saturday, January 16, 2021. Students participating in official University functions that are required to arrive earlier than that date should contact the Office of Residence Life to request approval to do so.
While the residence halls open January 16, 2021, please be aware that no on-campus food service is available until the evening of Sunday, January 17, 2021.
Students wishing to adjust their meal plans for spring may do so until Wednesday, January 27, 2021 at 5:00 p.m. Request a meal plan change.