The Zerah Priestly Carter Scholarship
The University of Evansville African American Alumni Association is pleased to announce the 2021 Zerah Priestly Carter Endowed Scholarship. Alumni members raised the funds to establish this endowed scholarship, named in honor of Zerah Priestly Carter ’38, the first African American graduate of the University.
The scholarship will be awarded to deserving African American students pursuing UE bachelor’s degrees. The scholarship is above and beyond the financial need of the student. The amount of the award is least $1,000 annually. These scholarship funds are in addition to other financial aid/scholarships awarded to the recipient. The award period is a maximum of four (4) years or completion of the bachelor’s degree. Annual academic progress (2.37 GPA) and annual community service is required. Qualified students are encouraged to apply at this time.
- Current UE African American students are eligible to apply for the Zerah Priestly Carter Scholarship.
- African American high school seniors who have been admitted to UE are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- The minimum GPA requirement is 2.37.
- Completed application
Written statement (not to exceed two typed pages, 12 font) presenting:
- current professional goals,
- volunteer involvement in an African American community, and
- why the applicant is deserving of the scholarship.
- Two letters of recommendation that verify and support the candidate’s community involvement activities
- Transcript of academic progress
The completed application must be delivered to the Office of Alumni and Parent Relations by Friday, March 19, 2021, 5:00 p.m. Application material will not be accepted after that time.
The Zerah Priestly Carter Scholarship will be awarded at the annual UEAAA Luncheon in the spring of 2021. Date at time TBA.
UEAAA Selection Committee
- Dr. Michael Woodard
- Bettye Poole
- Rose C. Mayes
- Watez Phelps
- Jimmy Peacher
Past Scholarship Recipients
- 2020-21: Leairra Carter, Madison King, Khalesia Lange, and Karnesha March
- 2019-20: Sierra Kelley ’21
- 2018-19: Da’Vonna Waller '20, Ciara Whitlock*, DaLisa McCallum '20*, Lindsay Sullivan*
- 2017-18: Starr Franklin ’20, Brittany Hay ’18, and Alexis Seay ’20
- 2016-17: China Jani’ Jones and Gabriel James ’18
- 2015-16: Miah Washington ’17, Cherese Butler ’16, Marks Cannon ’17, and Deja Johnson ’18
- 2014-15: Brookelle Bailey ’16, Violet Barrs ’15, Levon Gibson ’16*, Rama Green*, Taylyn Lewis ’15, Miah Washington ’17, and Taylor Williams
- 2013-14: Kendra Adebayo, Brittany Finch ’16, and Bianca (Edelhoff) Woods ’14
- 2012-13: Ariel Campbell, Danielle Cotton ’15, Rhianna Gallow ’15, Breanna Gunn, and Lauren Thomas ’13
- 2011-12: Jaymes Hughes ’13 and Chloe Stanfield ’12
- 2010-11: Toby Onwumere ’12
- 2009-10: Shawn Mayo ’13 and Chloe Stanfield ’12
- 2008-09: Caresse Bucchan ’09 and Ashleigh Dent
- 2007-09: Josephine Musisi
- 2006-07: Samira Georges-Beber
- 2005-06: Lorenzo Blackett ’07
- 2004-05: Danielle Brown ’07
- 2003-04: Lauren Massey-Williams ’05
- 2002-03: Krinai (Sullivan) Harrison ’03