The Zerah Priestly Carter Scholarship
The University of Evansville African American Alumni Association is pleased to announce the 2023 Zerah Priestly Carter Endowed Scholarship. Alumni members raised the funds to establish this endowed scholarship, named in honor of Zerah Priestly Carter '38, the first African American graduate of the University.
The scholarship will be awarded to deserving African American students pursuing UE bachelor's degrees. The scholarship is above and beyond the financial need of the student. The amount of the award is least $1,000 annually. These scholarship funds are in addition to other financial aid/scholarships awarded to the recipient. The award period is a maximum of four (4) years or completion of the bachelor's degree. Annual academic progress (2.37 GPA) and annual community service is required. Qualified students are encouraged to apply at this time.
- Current UE African American students are eligible to apply for the Zerah Priestly Carter Scholarship.
- African American high school seniors and transfer students who have been admitted to UE are eligible to apply for the scholarship.
- The minimum GPA requirement is 2.37.
- Completed application
- Submit official transcripts.
- Submit one (1) letter of letter of recommendation.
- If requested by ZPC Endowed Scholarship Committee, participate in a Zoom interview to address:
- professional goals;
- volunteer involvement in an African American community,
- why the candidate should be awarded the scholarship; and
- any other issues that will shed light on the candidate’s likelihood of success at UE.
- Candidates will be given at least two weeks advance notice of an interview.
Applications will be accepted January 1, 2023 – March 17, 2023.
Friday, March 17, 2023, 5:00 p.m.
The scholarships will be awarded at the ZPC Scholarship Luncheon on April 15 at The University of Evansville.
UEAAA Selection Committee
- Krinai Sullivan, Chair
- Watez Phelps, UEAAA President
- Bettye Poole, UEAAA Immediate Past President
- Rev. Floyd Edwards
- Ed Lander
- Dr. Rose Mays
- Jimmy Peacher
- Krinai Sullivan
- Dr. Michael Woodard
Past Scholarship Recipients
- 2022-23: Leairra Carter, Amber Dodson, Lucas Greer, Paris Himes, Oluwatosin Isola, and David (Eyob) McFarland.
- 2021-22: De’kyriauna Beans, Leairra Carter, Paris Himes, Madison King, and David (Eyob) McFarland
- 2020-21: Leairra Carter, Madison King, Khalesia Lange, and Karnesha March ’22
- 2019-20: Sierra Kelley '21
- 2018-19: Da'Vonna Waller '20, Ciara Whitlock*, DaLisa McCallum '20*, Lindsay Sullivan ’21*
- 2017-18: Starr Franklin '20, Brittany Hay '18, and Alexis Seay '20
- 2016-17: China Jani' Jones and Gabriel James '18
- 2015-16: Miah Washington '17, Cherese Butler '16, Marks Cannon '17, and Deja Johnson '18
- 2014-15: Brookelle Bailey '16, Violet Barrs '15, Levon Gibson '16*, Rama Green*, Taylyn Lewis '15, Miah Washington '17, and Taylor Williams
- 2013-14: Kendra Adebayo, Brittany Finch '16, and Bianca (Edelhoff) Woods '14
- 2012-13: Ariel Campbell, Danielle Cotton '15, Rhianna Gallow '15, Breanna Gunn, and Lauren Thomas '13
- 2011-12: Jaymes Hughes '13 and Chloe Stanfield '12
- 2010-11: Toby Onwumere '12
- 2009-10: Shawn Mayo '13 and Chloe Stanfield '12
- 2008-09: Caresse Bucchan '09 and Ashleigh Dent
- 2007-09: Josephine Musisi
- 2006-07: Samira Georges-Beber
- 2005-06: Lorenzo Blackett '07
- 2004-05: Danielle Brown '07
- 2003-04: Lauren Massey-Williams '05
- 2002-03: Krinai (Sullivan) Harrison '03