Online Learning Resources
- Online Readiness Self-Assessment
- Blackboard Help
- Student Support Services in Online Courses
- Online Learning Infographic
- Non-credit Online Courses
Video Discussions with Flipgrid
Thursday, Feb. 20, 12:30-1:00 pm
In this quick workshop, we will walk through how to easily incorporate student video discussions into your classes. We’ll talk about how to set up grids, create topics and topic videos, and discuss possible applications for all subject areas. Find out more about adding another level of engagement to your online or in-person courses!
Capturing Lectures with Panopto
Friday, Mar. 20, 1:30-2:00
Learn how to easily add videos to any of your classes! Panopto is a fantastic tool that lets us efficiently record and manage course videos on our own devices. In this session we’ll discuss various recording options as well as built-in features like discussions, quizzes, and statistics.
Teaching through the Lightboard
Thursday, April 30, 2:00-2:30
Come find out why lightboard users say that “this is just like teaching.” In this session we will cover lightboard setup, use strategies, and simple video editing. What is a lightboard?
Online Course Development Process
If you’re interested in developing and offering an online course, begin by connecting with the instructional technologist in the Center for the Advancement of Learning or complete the online course development form.
Once you’ve connected, it’s time to get started! Depending on your course needs, engage with video creation tools like Panopto or the lightboard, attend workshops on online teaching, and explore other available online tools for your course. Upcoming workshop dates:
- New to Online Teaching: April 26, 3:00- 4:30
Plan and Design
Work with the instructional technologist to plan your course, map outcomes, and create a course design plan.
Build your course within Blackboard with the assistance of the Blackboard help resources, instructional technologist, and OTS director of client services.
Deliver and Reflect
Successfully teach your fully developed online course. Find support from the Center for the Advancement of Learning and OTS. After the course concludes, reflect on the class and make any needed adjustments before rolling out the online course for a new term.
Online Teaching Resources
- Online Course Syllabus Template
- Eykamp Center for Teaching Excellence
- Online Teaching Quick Tips
- Web Conferencing and Online Meeting Tools
- Planning a Flipped Class
Policies and Procedures
Videos and Multimedia
- Panopto is a lecture capture and video hosting platform that allows for the capture of screen, web cam, document camera, or other video Within Panopto users can perform basic video edits and share the content easily within Blackboard. Contact OTS to request access. Step-by-step instructions on using it can be accessed in AceLink.
- The lightboard is a glass chalkboard that allows the user to capture writing and instructor presence in a way that mimics an instructor writing on a whiteboard in a classroom. Contact Leslie Barton if you are interested in learning how to use the lightboard.
- Effective Course Videos
- Additional multimedia tools including a webcam, camera, microphones, and editing software are available through the Center for the Advancement of Learning.
Copyright and Accessibility
- Creating Accessible Word Documents
- Creating Accessible Excel Files
- Creating Accessible Scanned PDFs
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations
- Fair Use and Copyright for Online Education
- Creating Accessible Documents
- Copyrighted Materials in Online Classes