Creative Writing Beyond the Classroom
The Creative Writing Program offers a variety of publications for students interested in gaining experience in editing, copyediting, proofing, and reading submissions, and design.
The Evansville Review
The Evansville Review is an annual literary journal published by the students at the University of Evansville. Our award-winning journal includes poetry, fiction, nonfiction, plays, and interviews by a wide range of authors, from emerging writers to Nobel Prize recipients. Past issues have included work by Joyce Carol Oates, Arthur Miller, John Updike, Joseph Brodsky, Elia Kazan, Edward Albee, Willis Barnstone, Shirley Ann Grau, and X. J. Kennedy. Poems which first appeared in The Evansville Review were selected to be included in The Best American Poetry 2001 and in The Pushcart Prize XXVI, 2002.
Measure: A Review of Formal Poetry
This journal is dedicated to publishing the best metrical, English-language poetry from both the United States and abroad. Students have opportunities to serve as editorial interns for Measure under the guidance of creative writing faculty.
Ohio River Review
The Ohio River Review draws on the all-University writing contest for its content. Student editors pick what they deem the best of the contest entries for inclusion. The journal is published each spring in time for distribution at the final Creative Writing Coffee Hour, at which time contest entries are read.
The Creative Writing Program has a strong record of placing creative writing writing students in exciting internships.
Taylor Gates internship at AfterBuzz TV
Created by Maria Menounos and Keven Undergaro, AfterBuzz TV is the world's largest online broadcast network specializing in content for a wide range of television shows. As an intern, Taylor had the opportunity to write and edit articles for the AfterBuzz TV website, help produce a screenwriting podcast, develop programming for the network's first scripted series, learn video and audio production skills, host over 20 shows, and more!
Students have worked with the following organizations:
- AfterBuzz TV
- Archaeology Magazine, Washington, D.C.
- Arts Indiana magazine, Indianapolis, IN
- Billboard magazine, Nashville, TN
- Disney Corporation, Los Angeles, CA
- Elle magazine, New York, NY
- Evansville Business magazine
- Evansville City View magazine
- Evansville Living magazine
- Evansville Courier & Press
- Evansville Museum of Arts, History, and Science
- Hoosier Parent magazine
- Indiana Business magazine
- The Children's Museum of Indianapolis
- Marvel Comics Publications, New York, NY
- Ohio University
- Patchwork Central, Inc.
- Performing Songwriter magazine, Nashville, TN
- Senior Literary Journal
- Story Press, Ohio
- The Evansville Review
- The University of Chicago
- UE Office of Publications
- UE Writing Center
- Various advertising agencies
- Various law offices
- Washington University, St. Louis
- WCPO/Channel 9, Ohio
- Writer's Digest magazine, Ohio
- Writers in the Schools (WITS)
Room 329, Olmsted Administration Hall