Master of Physician Assistant (PA) Science
Choosing an Undergraduate Major
- Pre-PA students must choose an undergraduate major.
- Commonly chosen majors include biology, biochemistry, chemistry, and neuroscience.
- Any major is acceptable, as long as the student completes all of the PA prerequisite requirements.
Recommended Attributes for PA Applicants
- Competitive GPA of 3.6 or higher (cumulative and prerequisite)
- Competitive GRE score of 307 or higher
- Excellent communication skills
All prerequisite science courses must be designed for science majors. Other courses will not be accepted.
General Biology with lab (1 semester)
- BIOL 107 OR BIOL 119 (preferred) May include cell biology
Microbiology with lab (1 semester)
- BIOL 110 with one additional hour of research (preferred but not required) OR BIOL 430 (preferred)
Anatomy and Physiology with lab (2 semesters)
- EXSS 112 and 113 OR BIOL 112 and 113
- May include one semester of anatomy and one semester of physiology or two semesters of combined anatomy and physiology
- May be comparative
General Chemistry with lab (2 semesters)
- CHEM 118 Principles of Chemistry
- CHEM 280 Inorganic Chemistry I
Organic Chemistry with lab (2 semesters)
- CHEM 240 Organic Chemistry I
- CHEM 341 Organic Chemistry II
- PSYC 121 Introduction to Psychology
- One additional social science
- Examples: Anthropology, Cognitive Science, Communication, Economics, Gender and Women's Studies, Political Science, Sociology
- PT 100 Medical Terminology
Minimum Application and Admission Requirements (All)
- Submit a completed application through the Central Application Service for Physician Assistants (CASPA).
- The application for January 2019 entry into the PA Program will be available on April 26, 2018.
- To be considered for an interview, the application must be verified by CASPA by August 1, 2018.
- Verification of an application by CASPA could take four weeks.
- Completion of a bachelor's degree by time of matriculation into the PA Program.
- Applicants may apply prior to obtaining their degree.
- There are no specific required degree or majors to gain entrance.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (overall and prerequisite).
- A grade of C or higher in all prerequisite course work.
- A grade of C- does not meet the requirement.
- All but three prerequisite courses must be completed at time of application submission.
- The remaining prerequisites must be completed by the end of the fall semester (December) prior to entering the program.
- Final transcripts must be submitted no later than December 21.
- Graduate Records Exam (GRE).
- Please use the following Designated Institution (DI) GRE code when indicating the University of Evansville's PA program as a score recipient: DI Code: 1765.
- A minimum GRE score of 300, combined quantitative and verbal score.
- MCAT scores can be substituted for the GRE if available.
- A minimum MCAT score of 25 for the old test and 500 for the new test is required.
- Complete an on-campus interview.
- Meet technical standards.
- UE welcomes all students and will provide reasonable accommodations to those students with documented need to meet this standard.
- Complete a criminal background check.
- Criminal background checks are required each year for physician assistant students.
- Health care experience.
- There are NO requirements for prior health care experience, however, priority will be given to applicants with direct patient care experience.
- Experiences may be paid, volunteer, or completed as part of degree requirements and may include “shadowing” and medical scribe hours.
Students selected for the B/PA Program must meet additional requirements throughout their undergraduate experience to maintain their position. See Pathway 1: B/PA Program.
The University of Evansville Physician Assistant Program reserves the right to make all final admission decisions.