Bachelor of Science in Public Health and Master of Public Health Dual Degree (BSPH/MPH)
The five-year public health program allows students to earn both the BS and MPH degrees giving them strong credentials for entry into the public health field.
Admission into program:
- Interested students should plan to apply during the spring semester of their junior year.
- Eligible: public health majors only.
- Deadline to apply: January 15.
- Decision notification: March 1.
- Completed application.
- At least a 3.0 GPA at the time of application.
- Personal Statement.
- Applicants must submit a personal goal statement that answers the following questions: (1) What are your current public health-related career goals?, and (2) How will a MPH degree in Health Policy help you attain your career goals?
- Interview. Applicants will be scheduled for interviews once their completed applications are submitted.
Public Health Undergraduate Courses (15 credit hours required)
- NUTR-304 Nutrition Concepts and Controversies (3 credits)
- PH-190 Intro to Public Health (3 credits)
- PH-195 Global Health Issues (3 credits)
- PH-360 Community Health & Social Justice (3 credits)
- PH-488 Internship (1-12 credits)
Six credit hours from the following:
- EDUC-385 Multicultural Understanding (3 credits)
- GT-401 Biology, Health, & Personality Dimensions of Aging (3 credits)
- PHIL-121 Introductory Ethics (3 credits)
- PHIL-316 Environmental Ethics (3 credits)
- PSYC-229 Social Psychology (3 credits)
- SOC-460 Aging and Society (3 credits)
Health Policy Emphasis: (9 credit hours required)
- HSA-406 Jurisprudence and Ethics in Health Care (3 credits)
- HSA-414 Health Care Management Theory and Human Resources (3 credits)
- HSA-420 Health Care Planning and Marketing (3 credits)
Nutrition Emphasis: (15 credit hours required)
- BIOL-110 Clinical Microbiology (3 credits)
- CHEM-240 Organic Chemistry I (4 credits)
- EXSS-320 Nutrition for Performance & Health (3 credits)
- PH-340 Public Health Nutrition (3 credits)
- PH-400 Food Science (3 credits)
Graduate Crossover Courses - taken during the fourth year (18 credit hours required)
- PH-501 Epidemiology (3 credits)
- PH-509 Environmental Health (3 credits)
- PH-515 Health Behavior (3 credits)
- PH-525 Biostatistics (3 credits)
- PH-542 Health Systems & Policy (3 credits)
- PH-580 Programs, Problems, & Policies (3 credits)
Courses that will be taken during the fifth year: (26 credit hours required)
- PH-530 Health Economics (3 credits)
- PH-535 Public Health Law & Ethics (3 credits)
- PH-540 Strategic Mngt in Health Prog (3 credits)
- PH-543 Population-Based Health (3 credits)
- PH-547 Survey Research Methods (3 credits)
- PH-590 Integrative Experience (3 credits)
- PH-598 Public Health Internship (3 credits)