Online Master of Public Health
UE’s online Master of Public Health in Health Policy is a great opportunity for those who want further study in public health policy. Students may enroll on either a full-time or part-time basis, with a full-time student taking two years to complete the program. All courses are taught in an online format. Distance learning provides location and day-to-day flexibility in scheduling “class” for students who have work, family, or other responsibilities.
Total credit hours required for the master's degree is 42 and they are divided into three categories:
- Public Health Core Courses
- Health Policy Core Courses
- Capstone Course and Internship
The specific objectives of the health policy program are: (1) to provide its students with a basic foundation of knowledge in public health and health policy, and (2) to teach concepts, principles, and scientific skills necessary for health services policy development and evaluation. The health policy program, within the School of Health Sciences, aims to have students develop an understanding of the importance of data and research as policy and management tools. Students are taught to anticipate future needs relative to expanding technology, changing patterns of community health, and emerging societal and programmatic needs.
The program provides a unified approach to policy. It is built on the recognition that issues of health policy cannot be divorced from principles of sound management, nor can health care management or policy be developed without a fundamental understanding of morbidity, mortality, and epidemiologic methods. Further, the program recognizes that leaders cannot make successful decisions about the delivery of health care nor solve the health problems affecting society over the next decades without extensive analytic and decision-making skills. Students need to be able to translate sound scientific evidence into effective health policy. The program emphasizes training in quantitative methods, economics, epidemiology, and evaluative methods for policy and management. Social and behavioral sciences are integral parts of many courses throughout the two-year curriculum.
For more information regarding graduate education in public health, visit MastersinPublicHealth.com.
- The application deadline for Fall admission is May 15.
- The application deadline for Spring admission is October 15.
- The application deadline for Summer admission is March 15.
- A UE Graduate Program application.
- Undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above.
Statement of Purpose.
- Your Statement of Purpose should explain why your background has prepared you for graduate education in public health. It is intended to give you the opportunity to submit a tailored narrative which will describe your education, experience, and professional career objectives. Your Statement of Purpose should describe your: reasons for interest in public health, career goals, why you need a degree in the specific program, why you are pursuing this degree now, and why at University of Evansville.
- English Proficiency. All international applicants must submit scores from one of the tests listed below:
Public Health Core Courses
- PH 501 - Epidemiology (3 credits)
- PH 509 – Environmental Health (3 credits)
- PH 515 – Health Behavior (3 credits)
- PH 525 – Biostatistics (3 credits)
- PH 542 – Health Systems and Policy (3 credits)
- PH 543 – Population-based Health (3 credits)
Health Policy Core Courses
- HSA 532 – Managed Care (3 credits)
- PH 530 – Health Economics (3 credits)
- PH 535 – Public Health Law and Ethics (3 credits)
- PH 540 – Strategic Management in Health Programs (3 credits)
- PH 547 – Survey Research Methods (3 credits)
- PH 580 – Programs, Problems, and Policies in Public Health (3 credits)
Capstone Course and Internship
- PH 590 – Integrative Experience (3 credits)
PH 598 – Practicum Health Internship (3 credits)*
- If students have 2 or more years of public health work experience, then the internship will be waived.
The University of Evansville Public Health Program is an applicant for accreditation by the Council on Education for Public Health. The accreditation review will address the BSPH in health policy, the BSPH in nutrition and the MPH in health policy. Other degrees and areas of study offered by this institution will not be included in the unit of accreditation review.