International Student Frequently Asked Questions

Arrival and Orientation

  1. What should I pack?
  2. What are the health and immunization requirements?
  3. What is the closest airport?
  4. How do I get to campus?
  5. Who do I contact if I miss my flight or have a flight delay?
  6. Where will I get meals or shop for food?
  7. How will I make friends?

Life at UE

  1. Who can answer my questions?
  2. What are MyUE, Self Service, and WebAdvisor?
  3. How can I get involved on campus?
  4. Can I practice my religion?
  5. Who will my roommate be?
  6. What are my options for exercise and playing sports?
  7. Will I be able to find a job on campus?

Life in the US

  1. What is the weather like?
  2. What do students do for fun in the city of Evansville?
  3. What type of transportation do you use in the city?
  4. Will I be able to get a social security number?
  5. Can I get a driver's license?

Arrival and Orientation

What should I pack?

Residence life provides a list of recommended items to pack Several of these might not pertain to you, but it still might be a helpful resource.

Some other items to consider

  • Pack your country's traditional clothing or items. You will have several opportunities to share your culture with other students, particularly at the International Bazaar.
  • UE's fitness center has a swimming pool for your use; if this interests you, pack a bathing suit.
  • Pack “casual smart” or “business casual” clothing for convocation (khaki or dress pants, skirts, dresses, button-down shirts, etc.)
  • Order a bedding bundle for $60 when you submit your Arrival Information Form so you do not have to bring bed linens.

During International Arrival and Welcome, there will be time for you to purchase items you may not wish to pack (for example, hangers, items for your room, or food). Adapters for your phones and laptops are easy to find, but some small appliances like hair dryers are easier to purchase here.

What are the health and immunization requirements?

All incoming students are required to have complete health information on file prior to the beginning of classes on Wednesday, August 21, 2024. To submit your health information, follow the processes for Med+Proctor outlined on the Health Center's webpage.

The completed health form verifies that you have received 2 Measles, Mumps, Rubella vaccinations (MMR), a Tetanus shot within the last 10 years, and 3 Meningitis vaccinations.The State of Indiana requires all students to receive a TB skin test in the United States. You will receive one on campus for a $20 fee.

What is the closest airport?
The Evansville Regional Airport is a short distance from campus. The airport code is EVV.
How do I get to campus?
Pickup services from Evansville Regional Airport are available to students arriving on August 13-15. Students can request pick up by completing their arrival form. Please note that pickup services at Evansville Regional Airport are subject to change based upon COVID-19 protocols. Look for communication closer to August.
Who do I contact if I miss my flight or have a flight delay?
The office of International Services tracks the flight numbers you provide to keep track of students during travel and know when to expect you on campus. If you missed your flight or know you will be delayed, you can email or call toll-free at 1-833-BeAnAce (1-833-232-6223).
Where will I get meals or shop for food?

One meal per day will be provided during the International Arrival and Welcome program, other meals are on your own until orientation lunch on August 16, 2024. During the all-student Welcome Week, students will receive meal tickets starting with dinner on August 17 until their meal plan begins with dinner on August 18. For other meals, there are several restaurants within walking distance. If you need assistance, ask your International Ambassador!

UE offers a variety of dining locations conveniently located in Ridgway University Center. They will open when classes begin. Café Court, Ace's Place, and Rademacher's Café offer a variety of foods and beverages that can be purchased with your meal plan or cash. Simply use your University ID card's meals and Ace Bucks as your dining debit card for meals, coffee shop items, and convenience items. Take a look at the list of dining locations and the Residence Life dining pages for more information on campus dining.

How will I make friends?

You will not be alone when you arrive in Evansville. International Students will have the opportunity to meet other incoming and current students through the pre-arrival online orientation program, during International Arrival and Welcome through events hosted by IAs and during the all-student Welcome Week. Welcome Week is designed to help you to meet people from across the U.S. and make friends. In addition to your IAs you will have Orientation Leaders. Orientation Leaders are there as an additional resource throughout Welcome Week and your first-semester on-campus to help you with any questions or concerns you may have. Remember, they are students just like you!

UE has students from more than 40 international countries. We encourage you to make friends from all over the world but know it's important to meet others from your country too. Through the pre-arrival program and International Arrival and Welcome you will be able to find the other UE students from your country or connect with someone from a similar culture or region.

Life at UE

Who can answer my questions?
International Ambassadors are here to help you with any questions you may have during Pre-Arrival, International Arrival and Welcome or throughout the year. Our Orientation Leaders are available to answer to any of your questions during SOAR and Welcome Week. For specific questions regarding immigration, university policy, academic or financial concerns, or other support needs, the office of International Services located on Ridgway 2nd floor will be pleased to help you out.
What are MyUE, Self Service, and WebAdvisor?
MyUE is the University of Evansville's web portal that provides convenient and centralized access to programs, resources, and information. Within MyUE, you have access to Self Service and WebAdvisor. You have the ability to access and update your important personal information. You can print your class schedule, register for classes, and check your grades. You can also check your account balance and pay your bills. To log in, go to Log in using your full UE email address and the password you created when you signed up for the online Housing and Meal Plan registration. For more information, contact the Help Desk at or call 812-488-2077.
How can I get involved on campus?
The University of Evansville is the right school for you in terms of involvement. With more than 100 student organizations on campus the University of Evansville's Center for Student Engagement has something for everyone. No matter where your interests lie, you will be assisted in connecting with other students. Whether you are looking to meet other students in your academic field, find friends with similar cultural or religious interests as you, engage in a community service opportunity, or join a fraternity or sorority, the Center for Student Engagement can help you find what you're looking for and if it doesn't already exist, they can help you through the simple process of creating your own organization.
Can I practice my religion?
The University of Evansville emphasizes the respect and practice of any religion. The Office of Religious Life and Center for Diversity Equity and Inclusion offers support and guidance throughout your spiritual development here at UE. Worship services, small group experiences, student organizations, and pastoral care opportunities are offered in the sincere hope that you might find a place to grow spiritually during your time here. A Muslim prayer room is accessible for students who request access from the Spiritual Life Coordinator.
Who will my roommate be?
When you submit your Housing and Meal Plan contract, you will select lifestyle preferences. Residence Life uses this information to match students who have similar lifestyles as roommates. Living on a campus is a great way to learn about American or another culture, but if you would like to request a roommate from the same country as you, you can specify that on your housing contract.
What are my options for exercise and playing sports?

As a UE student, you can take advantage of the Student Fitness Center free of charge. Cardio and weightlifting equipment is available and very popular. Students also participate in fitness classes like Zumba and yoga.

Over 75 percent of students at UE participate in intramural sports. The intramural program provides opportunities for students of all abilities to get involved in a variety of activities. You can play sports at a competitive level or just to learn something new. Examples of intramurals offered are soccer, basketball, floor hockey, flag football, volleyball, and the annual bike race.

Will I be able to find a job on campus?
Job postings are available through WebAdvisor under Student Employment. Because of federal funding, domestic students have first choices of the available positions. Many international students also find employment through on-campus dining.

Life in the US

What is the weather like?
Evansville, Indiana, has a moderate climate with four distinct seasons: Summer (June-September), Autumn or Fall (September-December), Winter (December-March) and Spring (March-June). The warm season lasts from May 23 to September 20 with an average daily high temperature above 79°F (26 C). The cold season lasts from November 30 to February 24 with an average daily high temperature below 49°F (9 C).
What do students do for fun in the city of Evansville?
Evansville is the third-largest city in the state of Indiana and the largest city in Southern Indiana. Located on the corner of three states—Indiana, Kentucky and Illinois—the city of Evansville offers numerous activities you can explore when you come to the University of Evansville. With a variety of restaurants, museums, hiking, shopping, and walking along the river, we encourage you to explore all that Evansville has to offer.
What type of transportation do you use in the city?
Cars are the most common type of transportation. If you like biking, you will be able to do so in the city and on campus. The city provides a public bus service. Popular ride share companies and taxi services also operate in Evansville and are an option for traveling around the city. The University of Evansville is partnering with METS mobile for a pilot program. To learn more about the pilot program, reach out to
Will I be able to get a social security number?
The United States government only provides a social security number to students who are eligible to work on campus or eligible for paid internships or employment. If you have a car, you can use your I-94 number for its registration and insurance documentation. You do not need a social security number to buy a phone.
Can I get a driver's license?

Yes, you can. The first step is passing a written test of 50 questions in order to receive a learner's permit. You must hold the permit for 180 days (approximately 6 months). After this period, you are eligible to take a driving test in order to obtain your driver's license.

If you already have a foreign driver's license, it might be helpful to receive an official translation or international license before arriving in the U.S. You are eligible to drive with an international license for a short period of time, and the international license makes it easier to obtain an Indiana driver's license.