SOAR Frequently Asked Questions

What is SOAR?

SOAR stands for Student Orientation and Academic Registration. It is a one-day orientation program that all freshmen must attend. Sessions are offered several times over the spring and summer prior to the start of fall classes. Upon acceptance to the University, students may select which SOAR session they would like to attend. This reservation will be confirmed once the student commits to the University of Evansville by submitting their admission deposit. Students are encouraged to select the SOAR session which best meets their needs. Optimally, the session selected allows their parent(s) or other support person to be on campus for a Parent Orientation Program that runs concurrently with SOAR.

While course registration for the fall semester is one of the key components of SOAR, there will also be opportunities to meet with a variety of offices across campus including Student Financial Services, the University Health Center, the Center for Career Development, and more.

Because spots are limited for each SOAR session, it is in the student’s best interest to act early. Registration for SOAR will begin in January and remain open until sessions are full.

Who attends SOAR?

All incoming, traditional freshmen are required to attend one of the SOAR sessions.

Transfer students (non-traditional) will receive information about STAR from the Center for Student Engagement (812-488-2371).
International students will receive information about International Orientation from the Cultural Engagement and International Students office (812-488-2279).

When is SOAR?

For freshmen starting classes in the fall 2020, SOAR will be offered on the following dates:

  • Friday, April 3, 2020
  • Friday, April 17, 2020
  • Friday, June 12, 2020

Students choose the SOAR session which best suits their family needs. A SOAR schedule will be posted on the SOAR website closer to the SOAR dates, but programming is expected to run from 8:00 a.m. - 6:30 p.m. CST.

Where will the SOAR and Parent Orientation program(s) be held? Where will students and parents stay during SOAR?

SOAR is a one day program, but a list of area hotels is available for families wishing to arrange an overnight stay. Several local hotels offer a discount to families visiting our campus so you might make mention of your plans when you make your reservations.

When you arrive on campus for SOAR, check-in will be held in Ridgway University Center. Students and guests will be permitted to park in any campus parking lot during SOAR. No parking permit will be required during SOAR.

How do I register for SOAR?

Beginning in early 2020, students who have been accepted to the University will receive an email invitation to register for SOAR. Registration for the student and his/her parents (or other supportive adult attending in the parents’ place) will be processed online by the student when the reservation for SOAR is made. Reservations are accepted on a first come, first served basis until sessions fill.

What is the cost for participation in the SOAR?

The deposit you made with the Office of Admission will cover the costs associated with SOAR for the student and two guests. (Additional guests will pay $15 per person when the student registers online for SOAR.)

What if a student or parent has special dietary needs or food allergies during SOAR?

If a student or parent has special dietary needs that need to be considered during SOAR, please send an email to so your needs can be made known to Chartwells, the University’s food service provider. Please put “SOAR DIETARY NEEDS” in the subject line and send the notice at least two weeks in advance of SOAR.

Related note: For students with known food allergies that may require medical attention in an emergency, it is recommended that the student contact Debbie Brenton, Disability Services Coordinator, at 812-488-2663 in advance of the start of classes.

What testing will be required before SOAR?

The Office of the Registrar will provide testing information to incoming students. Please contact that office at 812-488-2601 or by email at if you have any questions. Testing accommodations are handled by the Disability Services Coordinator who can be reached through the University’s Counseling Center at 812-488-2663.

What health information must I provide to the University Health Center?

All new incoming students are required to submit an updated, physician certified immunization record and physical prior to the beginning of classes at the University of Evansville. Visit to learn about the health requirements, obtain appropriate forms, and register for your new account, using your University of Evansville email address. Follow the Med+Proctor instructions for completing this process. Please do not mail your immunization record to the university or health center.

Students not in compliance with the University of Evansville’s health requirements by the beginning of classes, risk their eligibility to attend class and live in residential housing. If you have any questions regarding the health requirements, please contact the UE Health Center at or 812-488-2033. If you take prescription medication or have ongoing health concerns, now is the time to secure a local physician and pharmacy.

How do I request technical assistance with my computer, laptop, UE email, et cetera?

The Office of Technology Services (OTS) helpdesk can be reached at 812-488-2077 or visit the OTS website. Email is considered the primary means of communication for University business. Please check your email on a regular basis.

How do I obtain a Student ID Card?

Incoming freshmen will have a Student ID made during SOAR. While there is no charge for the first Student ID issued, please see the safety and security website regarding fees for lost/replacement ID cards.

How do I obtain a parking permit?

Parking permits will be required for all students parking on campus during the school year. They will not be available during SOAR. Please watch your email for more information about this process.

How do I apply for student housing and a meal plan?

The Office of Residence Life handles student housing and meal plan reservations. Information about how to apply for housing and a meal plan will be emailed to students by early March. In the meantime, visit the residence life website to explore options available and learn more about residential living. The residence life office phone is 812-488-2956.

How do I know what textbooks are required for my courses?

In late July, students may go the University bookstore website to see what texts are required for their courses. To find a current course schedule or register for classes, students should visit Self-Service.

Ordering Books: Students receive a Textbook Reservation and UrEntal form in their SOAR folder. The form can be turned in during SOAR to prepay and reserve books at the University bookstore. The form can also be mailed or taken to the bookstore at a later date. View our Bookstore Information sheet for more details regarding book buyback, rentals, reservations and more.

The University Bookstore is located in the Ridgway University Center/Phone:812-488-2678.

What do I need to know about Welcome Week?

You can learn more about Welcome Week online and encourage your student to watch for more information in mid-July. This is an exciting, required program for incoming freshmen so clear his/her calendar for August 22-25, 2020. Our Orientation Leaders will keep incoming students very busy with activities all day long on these dates. Students commuting from home should plan to participate fully, only returning home to sleep at night.

Additional questions?

Please feel free to contact the Dean of Students Office at 812-488-2500 for assistance. We’re here to help!

Office Phone:

Office Email:

Office Location:
Room 230, Ridgway University Center