Dr. Omer Bayar
Professor of Economics
Room 119, Schroeder School of Business Building
Omer Bayar is a Professor of Economics at the University of Evansville. Dr. Bayar received his B.A. in Management from Bogazici University in Istanbul, Turkey and Ph.D. in Economics with concentrations in monetary economics, international economics, and applied econometrics from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville. He held the Guthrie May Endowed Chair in Business from the Schroeder School of Business at the University of Evansville for 2017-2022. He is also the recipient of United Methodist Exemplary Teacher Award from the University of Evansville for 2015-2016, Class of 1961 Faculty Fellowship Award from the University of Evansville for 2014-2015, Dean’s Research Award from the Schroeder School of Business at the University of Evansville for 2020-2021 and 2014-2015, Dean’s Teaching Award from the Schroeder School of Business at the University of Evansville for 2015-2016 and 2012-2013, and J. Fred and Wilma A. Holly Fellowship from the University of Tennessee, Knoxville for 2006-2010.
- The Fiscal Consequences of Natural Disasters: Evidence from the U.S. States, with Todd Yarbrough (Pace University). Forthcoming at Public Finance Review.
- Bayar, O. 2022. Reducing Large Datasets to Improve the Identification of Estimated Policy Rules. Empirical Economics, 63, 113-140.
- Bayar, O. and A. Yazdanparast. 2021. Olympic Sponsorships and Brand Value: An Empirical Analysis. Journal of Advertising, 50, 139-159.
- Bayar, O. 2018. Weak Instruments and Estimated Monetary Policy Rules. Journal of Macroeconomics, 58, 308-317.
- Bayar, O. 2017. Treatment of Endogenous Monadic Variables in Gravity Equations. International Review of Economics and Finance, 52, 21-28.
- Bayar, O. 2015. An Ordered Probit Analysis of Monetary Policy Inertia. The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, 15, 705-726.
- Bayar, O. and G. Schaur. 2014. The Impact of Visibility on Trade: Evidence from the World Cup. Review of International Economics, 22, 759-782.
- Bayar, O. 2014. Temporal Aggregation and Estimated Monetary Policy Rules. The B.E. Journal of Macroeconomics, 14, 553-577.
- Bayar, O. and W. Neilson. 2011. The Peculiar Economics of Housing Bubbles. Contemporary Economic Policy, 29, 374-381.
- Bayar, O., W. Neilson, and S. Ogden. 2010. Kiffin Goods. Economics Bulletin, 30, 3300-3305.
Work in Progress
- Natural Disasters and Economic Dynamism: Evidence from U.S. Entrepreneurial Activity, with Todd Yarbrough (Pace University) and Chris Boudreaux (Florida Atlantic University). Under review.
- Exchange Rate-Based Inflation Stabilization: Theory and Practical Applications, with Mohammed Mohsin (University of Tennessee, Knoxville). Under review.
- The Branding Effect of Olympic Sponsorships: A Social Impact Theory Perspective, with Atefeh Yazdanparast (Clark University). Under review.
- Major Disasters and State Fiscal Trends: A Synthetic Control Approach, with Todd Yarbrough (Pace University). In progress.
- Recent Evolution of Research in Macro and Monetary Economics: A Topographical Analysis, with Yasser Alhenawi (Lourdes University). In progress.
- Pay for Play: Evidence from the UEFA Champions League Soccer Competition. In progress.