Program Educational Objectives and Student Outcomes
The mission of the mechanical engineering program is to provide a personalized educational experience for talented and motivated students who seek a Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering degree.
UE Mechanical Engineering EAC-ABET Program Educational Objectives and Student Outcomes:
Revised: March 19, 2009
Student Outcomes - Narrow statements that describe what students are expected to know and be able to do by the time of graduation.
Program Educational Objective - Broad statements that describe the career and professional accomplishments that graduates are achieving three to five years after graduation.
ME EAC-ABET Program Educational Objectives:
- Graduates shall be engaged in professional practice, continuing education, and/or other activities benefiting society.
- Graduates shall have developed habits consistent with an attitude of professionalism, an awareness and appreciation for different cultures, and the understanding of engineering influence in a global context.
ME EAC-ABET Student Outcomes:
(same as EAC-ABET a through k criteria)
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science, and engineering
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to design a system, component, or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economic, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability, and sustainability
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to function on multidisciplinary teams
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to identify, formulate, and solve engineering problems
- Students shall demonstrate an understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to communicate effectively
- Students shall demonstrate the broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental, and societal context
- Students shall demonstrate a recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- Students shall demonstrate a knowledge of contemporary issues
- Students shall demonstrate the ability to use the techniques, skills, and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice