Welcome Week is a program designed to help new students transition to life at UE. The program includes informational sessions, food, volunteer opportunities and entertainment focused to build new relationships with other incoming students and the UE community. All new students arrive at the University four days before classes begin for this fun-filled event. Students are guided through this transition period by a group of energetic mentors called orientation leaders (OLs). Students will be assigned a small group and an OL when they arrive at Welcome Week check in. This program is required for all new students, so pre-registration is not required.
U.S. freshmen and international students do not need to pre-register for this event.
Meet the Orientation Leaders (OLs)
You might have met some of our OLs when you were on campus for student orientation. These students were selected as OLs because they are energetic, informed, and ready to help as you get started at UE. When you check in, you will be placed in a small group of freshmen with an OL as the leader. Together, you will attend activities that are designed to help you feel at home on campus. Get to know the OLs by checking out their fun profiles!
- Name: Madeline Adamson
- Hometown: Beech Grove, IN
- Major: Neuroscience, Pre-Med
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I immediately noticed how much the staff and professors care for the success of their students. I was also attracted to the small size and being able to form so many close relationships with my peers and professors. The family feel that UE promised to provide has definitely been delivered.
Public Health: Health Policy, Direct-Entry Physician Assistant
- Name: Luciano Albanese
- Hometown: New Brighton, PA and Doha, Qatar
- Major: Public Health: Health Policy, Direct-Entry Physician Assistant
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE over other programs because of the personability of all of the faculty and staff that I met throughout the entire admissions process. From my first steps on campus I felt that the faculty and the staff are in my corner, rooting for me, and checking in on me all the time. Also, growing up overseas in the Middle East, I wanted a smaller school where the professors would know my name and would want to make a genuine connection with me. Lastly, I met some of my closest friends at UE on day one because we connected over being direct-entry PA students.
Health Services Administration, Pre-Physician Assistant
- Name: Peyton Beller
- Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio
- Major: Health Services Administration, Pre-Physician Assistant
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I loved the tight-knit community and the welcoming students and faculty. During my very first visit to UE, I immediately felt welcomed and valued. I could tell that the professors and advisors truly wanted me to succeed and would be there to support me. I love that every day I get to see a friendly face on campus and that I have the opportunity to be involved in so much. Choosing UE was one of the best decisions that I have ever made.
Political Science/Criminal Justice
- Name: Payton Boyd
- Hometown: Evansville, Indiana
- Major: Political Science/Criminal Justice
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I felt it put me in the best place to better myself; academically and physically. UE offers the best possible education to get to my next step in life. With the smaller classes here at UE, they give me the opportunity to connect with the professor on a more personal level, which goes a long way when needing help in courses. Also, the university has many clubs and organizations, which offer friendships and growth of leadership skills. Not to mention, it is my hometown and gives me ample amount of time to spend with my family.
- Name: Jordan Bradley
- Hometown: Kokomo, IN
- Major: Biochemistry
- Why I chose UE: A small campus leads to closer bonds between people. Also, my professors were nice and approachable even during SOAR, which helps with my learning as I know they can answer my questions.
- Name: Nick Buechlein
- Hometown: Jasper, Indiana
- Major: Biology, Pre-Med
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because of the small class sizes and opportunities for hands-on learning. I also felt a great sense of community and inclusiveness when I arrived on campus.
Biology, Direct-Entry Pre Physician Assistant
- Name: John Erickson
- Hometown: Durand, Illinois
- Major: Biology, Direct-Entry Pre Physician Assistant
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because of the extensive opportunities available. At UE, I felt like campus life was similar to life in my small town, which I hold dear to my heart. At UE, I knew that I could have a personal relationship with all of my professors and get an education that I would not be able to anywhere else. I knew that UE would allow me to achieve academic excellence while growing as a person and friend.
- Name: Mary Franklin
- Hometown: Vincennes, IN
- Major: Nursing
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because of its small size and educational excellence. The people at UE always make you feel at home and the professors want to get to know you as a person and not just as a number in a class. In the nursing program this allows me to get a lot more hands-on practice as well as one on one direction with my professors. UE prepares their students to be able to excel in the professional world after graduation.
- Name: Justin Fritch
- Hometown: Aviston, IL
- Major: Mechanical Engineering
- Why I chose UE: I had known about UE for most of my high school career, and when I learned about their awesome engineering program I had to check it out. After meeting the quality professors and seeing the close-knit campus community, I knew it would become a great new home to me—and I was not wrong!
Exercise Science, Pre-PT
- Name: Abigail Hatcher
- Hometown: Plaisance du Touch, France
- Major: Exercise Science, Pre-PT
- Why I chose UE: I really love the small campus and classes which allow more interaction between professors and students. The PT program (one of the very few in the area), along with the generous scholarships UE offers were also big attractions for me.
Exercise Science, Direct Entry Pre PT
- Name: Kathryn Heiny
- Hometown: Fort Wayne IN
- Major: Exercise Science, Direct Entry Pre PT
- Why I chose UE: I choose UE because of the small class sizes that helped me become successful in my academics. I also saw all the different opportunities both in and outside of the classroom at UE. Finally I had a direct admit to a great physical therapy program and I didn’t want to pass on that opportunity.
- Name: Delaney Herrmann
- Hometown: Brentwood, TN
- Major: Nursing
- Why I chose UE: When I visited the University of Evansville, I was impressed by the rigorous academics and the resources available to help me reach my highest potential. UE has many clubs and activities that have helped me become a well-balanced student. UE has nurtured me academically, socially, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. I am proud to be a Purple Ace!
Kyaw Kyaw (Joe) Htet
- Name: Kyaw Kyaw (Joe) Htet
- Hometown: Yangon, Myanmar
- Major: Civil Engineering
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because UE is a small campus, the student can have close contact and attention on their weaknesses from their professor to have better college experiences.
- Name: Micah Johnson
- Hometown: Cincinnati, OH
- Major: Psychology/ Pre-PT
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I wanted to really focus on my academics and the direct entry program was a fantastic way to meet my end goal. I was between a few schools, but what ultimately helped me choose UE was Road Trip. As soon as I got on the bus, I was met by welcoming faculty and automatically knew that I would like the campus. After I met with some of the professors and students, I heard nothing but good things and realized that a small school would offer me one of a kind help whenever I called for it. The one-on-one I received as soon as classes started has not slowed down and the professors are there for your success.
Marketing & Global Business
- Name: Madison King
- Hometown: McCordsville, IN
- Major: Marketing & Global Business
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I loved how personalized the experience that I had with the admissions representative in my area was. She, as well as other faculty members, were so willing to help ease the admissions process in any way that they could. I was also very excited to experience a close-knit community with smaller classes so that I could form better connections with students and faculty. Lastly, Harlaxton seemed like such an amazing opportunity and I am looking forward to going soon! All things considered; I am super excited for my remaining years here at UE!
Public Health Pre-PA
- Name: Kiki Laird
- Hometown: St. Louis, MO
- Major: Public Health Pre-PA
- Why I chose UE: The University of Evansville showed me that they cared for my education, my future, and me personally. The classes are small enough that I do not feel overwhelmed but it is not too small that I am never pushed outside of my comfort zone.
- Name: Luscius Lloyd
- Hometown: Evansville, IN
- Major: Business Management
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I got accepted to the Fellow Scholar Program here at UE. It was one of the best opportunities that I had and I certainly couldn't pass up. Even though I am from Evansville, I wasn't sure this school was for me but before I even step foot on campus there was a warm welcome from my Orientation Leader. I believe the faculty here will do anything to help me succeed. Within a week of being on campus, I felt so comfortable. With UE being a smaller school, it feels like a big family here. You see the same smiling faces every morning which is exciting to me. Choosing UE as my new school is the smartest life decision I've made, and I am excited to be here!
- Name: Kyleigh Mayer
- Hometown: Evansville, IN
- Major: Exercise Science
- Why I chose UE: I have had many family members attend UE, so it’s always been part of my family. I had looked at other schools but knew I couldn't stay away from where I felt at home. UE offered me many scholarships which has allowed me to focus more on my education. Most importantly I wanted to be known as a student and not a number or a paycheck. The small class sizes allow the connection between student and professor to be greater than it would be at a bigger school. I am so glad I picked UE and found my forever home!
- Name: Olivia McIntire
- Hometown: Evansville, IN
- Major: Nursing
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I knew I loved the atmosphere every time I came to visit. Being from Evansville, I was astounded by all the new experiences and perspectives UE offered just down the road from where I grew up. The nursing faculty welcomed me with open arms and discussed with me my plans to attend CRNA school after graduation, ensuring I understood their willingness to help me succeed. UE truly is the best of both worlds for me, and I wouldn't want to grow as a person and a nurse anywhere else.
Exercise Science, Direct Entry Physical Therapy
- Name: Rafael Mendoza-Romero
- Hometown: Denver, CO
- Major: Exercise Science, Direct Entry Physical Therapy
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because being accepted to direct entry for physical therapy was too good of an opportunity to pass on. Initially I wasn't sure if UE was for me, however I chose to go to road trip. An amazing experience with my road trip host, many of the students, and supportive faculty helped me to feel at home. The size of the school helped me to make a decision as well since the students can personally connect with their teachers due to the size of the school.
Psychology, Sociology, Criminal Justice
- Name: Malia Metelues
- Hometown: Fort Wayne, IN
- Major: Psychology, Sociology, Criminal Justice
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because I loved the personalized attention from students and faculty on my tour and hadn't experienced that any other schools. They had spent time discussing my future with my parents and I and what I wanted to do, and while I was there, they introduced me to forensic psychology which is still something that I am pursing to this day! Even though it was just a tour I could tell that they cared about my success and were willing to take the time to ensure that I was able to achieve what I wanted and looking back I still appreciate that interaction. I also loved the smaller class sizes and the welcoming atmosphere. I also have a great interest in traveling abroad and knew that Harlaxton was a fantastic opportunity to do that!
Exercise Science, Direct-Entry Pre Physician Assistant
- Name: Alexia Recinella
- Hometown: Westerville, OH
- Major: Exercise Science, Direct-Entry Pre Physician Assistant
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because of the sense of community and belonging that I felt prior to visiting campus. I was constantly receiving handwritten letters, UE apparel and most importantly guidance and direction for the UE staff and students before I even stepped on campus. After visiting, there was just something about UE that made me feel important and more than just a statistic. Along with that, I received a seat in the Direct-Entry PA program and couldn't pass up the opportunity!
- Name: Devyn Schaetzle
- Hometown: Knightstown, IN
- Major: Biology
- Why I chose UE: I felt a family-like, extremely close knit community where anyone can fit in.
Exercise Science/Pre-physical therapy
- Name: Catherine Shafer
- Hometown: Evansville, IN
- Major: Exercise Science/Pre-physical therapy
- Why I chose UE: I chose to come to UE because I love the smaller campus community. Despite being a smaller school, I saw how this did not diminish the numerous opportunities the university had to offer. From being accepted into the direct entry program for physical therapy, planning to study abroad at Harlaxton, and being welcomed into the community, I could easily envision myself as a student here.
- Name: Noah Stabler
- Hometown: Buffalo, NY
- Major: Archaeology
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because it has a good archaeology program and a great study abroad program at Harlaxton.
Exercise science pre-pt
- Name: Hannah Tomlin
- Hometown: Camby, IN
- Major: Exercise science pre-pt
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE for their direct entry physical therapy program and because it had a small campus. UE’s small campus provided me with the sense of community that I was looking for. I love the small classes because it allows me to know my professors and classmates more.
- Name: Brynna Waters
- Hometown: Brownsburg, IN
- Major: Theatre Performance
- Why I chose UE: UE was definitely at the top of my list due to the theatre program. I was really grateful to be accepted into the program and its what keeps me here. I was also very interested in the creation of diversity on campus through the Center for Diversity Equity, and Inclusion. I was also really surprised to see the connection between everyone on campus. UE provides such a community and exhibits close connections between everyone here.
- Name: Allison Wolfe
- Hometown: Albion, IL
- Major: Political Science
- Why I chose UE: The small campus and friendly atmosphere really drew me to UE. It’s so great being able to say hello to everyone I walk by on campus and know who they are!
- Name: Brian Woodard
- Hometown: Evansville, IN
- Major: Neuroscience, Pre-PA
- Why I chose UE: I got a good scholarship that I couldn't pass up, I liked the idea of having small personable class sizes, and it is very close to home so that I could commute and save money.
Ethan Dale Ziegler
- Name: Ethan Dale Ziegler
- Hometown: Dubois, IN
- Major: Accounting/Finance
- Why I chose UE: I chose UE because it was a small school that was close to home where I could get a great education. I feel like it is very easy to get lost and become a statistic at a larger school, so I think it is awesome that I am at a place where I feel I can make an impact.