Campus Security Authorities

According to the Federal Jeanne Clery Act, the Office of Public Safety is required to annually report “statistics concerning the occurrence of certain criminal offenses that occur in the following areas on or near campus.

  • On campus – owned/controlled by the university within the same reasonably contiguous geographic area and used in direct support of or related to educational purposes,
  • Student Housing – residence halls, village housing properties, fraternity and sorority houses.
  • Non-campus – off-campus buildings and property owned and controlled by the university even if in another city, as well as property “owned or controlled by a student organization that is officially recognized by the institution.
  • Public property – streets and sidewalks within campus or immediately adjacent to accessible from the campus.

These statistics are gathered from various sources including the Office of Public Safety, local law enforcement and any official of the university who has a significant responsibility for students and campus activities”. These university personnel are designated as a “Campus Security Authority”. While the University prefers that all members of the campus community promptly report all crimes and other emergencies directly to the Office of Public Safety at (812) 488-2051 or (812) 488-6911, we also recognize that some may prefer to report to other individuals or University offices.

Who are Campus Security Authorities (CSA)?

  • All personnel of the Office of Public Safety
  • Any individual or individuals who have responsibility for campus security but who do not constitute a campus security department (i.e. an individual who is responsible for monitoring the entrance into institutional property). Include individuals such as those who escort students around campus after dark, or monitor access into sporting events or large registered parties.
  • Any individual or organization specified in an institution's statement of security policy as an individual or organization to which students and employees should report criminal offenses.
  • An official of an institution who has significant responsibility for student and campus activities, including, but not limited to, student housing, student discipline and campus judicial proceedings.

An official is defined as any person who has the authority and the duty to take action or respond to particular issues on behalf of the institution. Individuals who generally meet the criteria for being campus security authorities include:

  • University President
  • Executive VP Academic Affairs/Provost
  • VP Student Affairs//Dean of Students
  • Chief Diversity Officer
  • Assistant Director of Institutional Equity and Title IX Coordinator
  • Residential Life Staff
  • Student Engagement Staff
  • Fitness Center Staff
  • Cultural Engagement/International Services
  • Athletic Director, to include all athletic coaches, including part-time employees and graduate assistants.
  • Advisors to student organizations
  • Greek Affairs

What does a Campus Security Authority do?

The function of a campus security authority is to report to the Office of Public Safety those allegations of Clery Act crimes that he or she receives if they believe it was provided in “good faith”. In “good faith” means, there is a reasonable basis for believing the information is not simply rumor or hearsay. CSAs are not responsible for investigating or reporting incidents that they overhear students talking about in a hallway conversation; that a classmate or student mentions during an in-class discussion; that a victim mentions during a speech, workshop, or any other form of group presentation; of that the CSA otherwise leans about in an indirect manner.

What shouldn't a Campus Security Authority do?

A campus security authority is not responsible for determining whether a crime took place. That is the responsibility of law enforcement personnel. A campus security authority should not try to apprehend the alleged perpetrator of the crime. That too is the responsibility of law enforcement. CSAs should not attempt to convince a victim to contact law enforcement if the victim chooses not to do so.

What types of crimes must be reported?

  • Murder/non negligent manslaughter
  • Negligent manslaughter
  • Sex offenses (rape, fondling, incest, and statutory rape)
  • Robbery
  • Aggravated assault
  • Burglary
  • Motor vehicle theft
  • Arson

Hate Crimes (bias crimes) Associated with race, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, ethnicity, national origin, and disability

  • All of the previously listed crimes
  • Larceny
  • Vandalism
  • Intimidation
  • Assault

VAWA (Violence Against Women's Act)

  • Dating violence
  • Domestic Violence
  • Stalking

Additional Reporting Requirements

The number of arrests and the number of individuals referred for disciplinary action for liquor law violations, drug violations, and weapons law violations that occur on our Clery Act geography must be counted in our statistics. (Note: The violations of liquor laws must be a criminal offense. It would be someone who has only violated the university alcohol policy).

What's Next for You as a CSA?

If your role or function at the university has been designated as a “Campus Security Authority” (CSA), you will be notified by email and will be required to view an on-line CSA training PowerPoint. Links to the training PowerPoint and CSA Crime Reporting form will be included with the email.