Reporting Emergencies

All members of the campus community are expected to assist in making the campus a safe place by reporting emergencies and criminal activity directly to the Office of Safety and Security by dialing the campus emergency number 6911. Emergency calls may also be made directly to the Evansville City Police/Fire Departments by dialing 9911. These numbers are posted throughout the residence halls, in the campus telephone directory and on campus telephones located in the lobbies of most campus buildings and residence halls. Trained radio and telephone operators are available 24 hours a day to respond to emergency calls. When the call is received, security officers will be dispatched immediately to the site of the complaint.

For Non-Emergency Situations visit the Non-Emergency Response Page.

Criminal Activity

If you witness a violent crime or criminal behavior, do not take any chances! Notify security immediately by dialing 6911 from any campus phone or using one of the Campus Emergency Phones.

Maybe you have some information about a past incident? Check out the Report A Concern form. You can help the University by supplying us with some information. It is important to give as much information as possible so be prepared to give the following information:

  1. Your name
  2. Location of incident
  3. Nature of incident, see the Crime Definitions
  4. Number of persons involved
  5. Descriptions ofperson(s) involved:

    • Race (white, black, asian, latino, etc.)
    • Male & Female
    • Height & Build (short, tall, average, medium, heavy, skinny)
    • Hair (Blonde,Brown, shoulder length, short, etc.)
    • Clothing (Blue jeans, red striped shirt, baseball cap, etc.)
    • Other physical characteristics (facial hair, tattoos, sunglasses, etc.)
  6. Description of vehicle involved:

    • Color
    • Make (Ford, Chevy, etc.)
    • Model ( 4 door, convertible, hatch back, etc.)
    • License plate
    • Identifiable markings (decals, stripes, noticeable damage, etc.)
  7. Direction of travel if suspect fled the scene (north, southeast, Weinbach runs north and south, Walnut runs east and west.)
  8. Description of property involved
  9. You should remain available to assist officers by supplying them with additional information. Ask others to do the same.

Don't let yourself fall victim to criminal activity. Check out our 'Tips' page for crime prevention information.

Sexual Assault or Rape

Whether the victim intends to press charges or not, it is strongly recommended that rape or attempted rape or sexual assault be reported. Notify someone immediately such as a Residence Assistant, Residential Coordinator, the Security Office, a Professor, or the Police.

While waiting for Security or the police:

  • Do not change your clothing
  • Do not clean your clothing or person
  • Do not apply medication

This will ensure that evidence is preserved should you decide to press charges later.

Questions an officer may ask are not to embarrass the victim or intimidate, it is important to give as much information as possible so the person responsible can be caught and prevented from victimizing others.

The University has trained counselors that can help victims deal with the mental trauma that can accompany a vicious attack.

For more information, see information provided under the Policy on Sexual Misconduct in the Student Handbook and resources available for victim support in Health and Wellness.

Medical Emergencies

Campus security officers are trained as first responders in first-aid and CPR in case of accidents or medical emergencies.

When reporting a medical emergency you should:

  1. Dial 6911 or use a Campus Emergency Phone
  2. State your name
  3. Your location
  4. Victim's name, if known
  5. Victim's location
  6. Nature of emergency
  7. Condition of victim (i.e., unconscious, bleeding severely, convulsing, not breathing, has no pulse, in severe pain, choking, suspected fracture or compound fracture)
  8. Stay on the line until the operator tells you help is on its way and releases you.

For minor medical situations such as:

  • Headaches
  • Stomach aches
  • Minor scrapes, cuts and abrasions

Call the Health and Wellness center during the day. The Office of Safety and Security will transport individuals to any of the local hospital emergency rooms after hours and on weekends and at the request of Health and Wellness or Training Room staff.

* If in a residence hall or Village housing, contact your RA or professional staff for additional assistance.

Missing Persons

Emergency Contact Registration and Missing Person Protocol

Each year, the University will request all students, on a voluntary basis, to provide through the University's computer based Webadvisor system, an emergency contact person or persons. This information will also be used by the institution to notify the designated person(s) if the student is determined to be missing from campus by the campus security department or the local law enforcement agency. This information will be kept in a confidential manner and will be accessible only to authorized campus officials. It may not be disclosed, except to campus security personnel or local law enforcement personnel in the furtherance of a missing person investigation.

If a student is suspected to be missing from campus, immediately report this to the office of safety and security. Authorized university personnel will be notified of the report and an internal search for the individual will begin. This may include utilizing residence life staff, verifying class attendance with faculty, and interviewing friends of the missing student. In some cases, the University may choose to contact the emergency contact person or parent if the circumstances warrant such notification. All reports of missing students made to the University Security Office will be investigated.If the internal investigation determines that the student has been missing over 24 hours, within 24 hours the University will:

  • Notify the individual(s)identified as the student's emergency contact person(s)
  • If under 18 years of age, and is not emancipated, the University will notify a parent or guardian and any other designated contact person(s)
  • Regardless of whether the student has identified a contact person, is above the age of 18 or is an emancipated minor, the University will contact the local law enforcement agency that has jurisdiction in the area, and the parent of the student, that the student has been reported to be missing

Office Phone:

Office E-mail:

Office Location:
First floor, General Services Building