Admission into the professional Physician Assistant (PA) Program requires an undergraduate degree and prerequisite courses in the sciences. Most prospective PA students will pursue a science-based undergraduate degree; however, any undergraduate major is acceptable as long as the prerequisites are completed. The University of Evansville (UE) offers a strong undergraduate preparation. Several currently developed degree options for prospective PA students include biology, biochemistry, chemistry, clinical laboratory science, exercise science, neuroscience, and public health.
Due the COVID-19 pandemic, many Universities have enabled students to take undergraduate courses during the spring & summer 2020 semesters as pass/fail. However, the UEPA Program will only accept letter grades for our listed pre-requisite courses. This applies to all applicants, via both Pathways 1 and 2.
All prerequisite science courses must be designed for science majors, other courses will not be accepted.
- General/Inorganic Chemistry (with lab)-two semesters
- Organic Chemistry (with lab)-two semesters
- General Biology (with lab)-one semester
- Microbiology (with lab)-one semester
Anatomy and Physiology (with lab)-two semesters
- May include one semester of anatomy and one semester of physiology or two semesters of combined anatomy and physiology
- May be comparative anatomy and/or physiology
Social Science-two semesters
- Psychology – one semester
- Any other social science (e.g. sociology, anthropology, etc.)
- Medical Terminology
Admission to the Physician Assistant Program
Entry into the professional phase is a very competitive process based on both quantitative and qualitative variables. At the University of Evansville there are two admission pathways into the Physician Assistant (PA) Program.
Minimum Application Requirements (ALL):
Submit a completed CASPA application.
- The application for January 2022 entry into the PA Program will be available in late April of 2021.
- To be considered for an interview, the application must designated in CASPA as COMPLETE status by August 1, 2021.
- Verification of an application by CASPA could take four weeks.
- Successful completion of CASPer online assessment
- Three letters of recommendation submitted through CASPA (up to 5 are allowed)
Completion of a bachelor’s degree by time of matriculation into the PA Program.
- Applicants may apply prior to obtaining their degree.
- There are no specific required degree or majors to gain entrance.
- A minimum GPA of 3.0 (both overall and prerequisite).
- A grade of C or higher in all prerequisite course work. A grade of C- does not meet the requirement.
All but two prerequisite courses must be completed at time of application submission.
- The remaining prerequisites must be completed by the end of the fall semester (December) prior to entering the program.
- Final transcripts must be submitted no later than December 21.
- Complete an on-campus interview.
Meet technical standards.
- UE welcomes all students and will provide reasonable accommodations to those students with documented need to meet this standard.
Complete a criminal background check.
- Criminal background checks are required each year for physician assistant students.
- There are NO requirements for prior healthcare experience.
- The University of Evansville Physician Assistant Program does not recognize any special populations.
Students selected for the B/PA Program must meet additional requirements throughout their undergraduate experience to maintain their position. See Pathway 1: B/PA Program.
The University of Evansville Physician Assistant Program reserves the right to make all final admission decisions.