Auditions and Interviews
The Department of Theatre seeks students interested in studying acting, directing, scene design, costume design, lighting design, sound design, theatre technology, stage management, dramaturgy, playwriting, theatre management, and general theatre studies. Auditions and interviews determine the student’s experience and potential for success in a theatre-related career. A student participating in auditions through an organized event does not need to schedule a private audition.
Auditions and interviews should include one or more of the following approaches:
- Audition: Actors should provide a headshot, and prepare a memorized two-to-three-minute monologue from a contemporary play, 20-30 lines from a play by William Shakespeare, and one verse from a Broadway musical. The student must provide recorded musical accompaniment and use their own playing device.
- Portfolio Review: Stage managers, designers, and technicians should provide a resume, as well as present examples of work in the form of photographs, prompt-scripts, slides, and/or drawings of productions on which the student has worked. Examples of related skills (sewing, woodworking, drawing, etc.) are also helpful. Students interested in theatre management should present a comprehensive resume, writing samples, and any photographs or examples of completed projects. Students interested in theatre studies may choose to combine an audition and portfolio review.
- Interview: All prospective students will interview with members of the faculty to assess skills and interests. Interviews allow students to talk with a faculty member in an informal manner and discover what the University of Evansville and the student have to offer each other.
Auditions and Interviews Schedule
The University of Evansville will conduct all auditions and interviews online this year. Utilizing various online platforms, we will be participating in several group auditions, UE private auditions, and private auditions as part of the National Unified Auditions.
Due to COVID–19 and the financial stress this pandemic has placed on families across the country, the University of Evansville Theatre is waiving their $25 audition fee for UE private auditions this year.
The University of Evansville will have representatives conducting auditions and interviews in conjunction with the following virtual events:
- International Thespian Festival
- Pacific Northwest Auditions
- Youth Performing Arts High School, Louisville, Kentucky
- Texas Thespian Festival
- Kansas Thespian Festival
- Oklahoma Thespian Festival
- Booker T. Washington High School of the Performing Arts, Dallas, Texas
- Greater San Antonio Auditions
- Colorado Thespian Conference
- Wisconsin High School Theatre Festival
- North Texas Drama Auditions
- Georgia Thespian Conference
- National Unified Auditions
The University of Evansville is a proud member of the National Unified Auditions. For these auditions, students will need to register and upload materials through www.getacceptd.com. This site will be accepting registrations and materials after November 1, 2020. The discounted fee for these auditions is $27. If a student needs to apply for a fee waiver, they should email email@example.com with that request.
|Virtual Audition||Request a private audition for Saturday, November 7, 2020|
|Virtual Audition||Request a private audition for Saturday, January 30, 2021|
|Virtual Audition||Request a private audition for Saturday, February 20, 2021|
Additional audition events and cities may be added. Check back here for an up-to-date list.