Employment Opportunity Detail
Mental Health Counselor
University of Evansville - Counseling Services
General Job Description:
The Mental Health Counselor at the University of Evansville provides essential counseling services to students dealing with a range of psychiatric and mental health issues, adjustment disorders, substance abuse challenges, and academic/life stressors. Additionally, if clinically licensed, the Mental Health Counselor assists the Director in supervising and guiding new counselors, facilitating their acquisition of the necessary experience for the state licensing exam. This position also contributes to the daily operations of the offices within the suite.
- Provide direct counseling services to students dealing with psychiatric and mental health disorders, including but not limited to depression, suicidal/homicidal ideation, anxiety, adjustment issues, and substance use.
- Supervise unlicensed therapists to help them accumulate the required hours for the state licensing exam.
- Offer 24-hour emergency on-call services and crisis intervention as needed.
- Manage general administrative responsibilities, including meetings, record-keeping, statistical reporting, program planning, supervisory duties, and daily contact reports.
- Collaborate with various University personnel, such as academic advisors, faculty, resident life staff, athletics, Dean of Students/VP, Health Center, etc., to provide appropriate support services to students at risk of mental health emergencies or withdrawal.
Essential Knowledge and Skills:
- Master of Social Work or comparable degree in a counseling field.
- LCSW/LSW or equivalent professional licensure.
- Strongly recommended to have knowledge and experience in providing accommodations for students with disabilities to facilitate collaboration with Disability Services staff.
- Possess strong clinical skills and a broad experience base with various psychiatric and mental health issues.
- Reports directly to the Director of Counseling Services and the Dean of Students/Vice President of Student Affairs.
- Collaborates with other departments in Student Life, including Career Development Services, Center for Student Engagement, Associate Dean of Students/Director of Residence Life, and Cultural Engagement.
- Works directly with the Administrative Assistant in Counseling Services and Disability Services, and oversees 6 work-study students.
Physical and Mental Effort:
- Must be comfortable working under stressful situations and in a very busy office environment.
- Provides after-hours on-call services for emergent psychiatric crises, including assessing students for possible psychiatric hospitalization.
- Engages in daily office work.
Work Hours/Travel Requirements:
- Monday - Friday, 8-5 with required after-hours on-call responsibilities for emergent psychiatric crises.
- May be necessary to assess a student after hours via phone call or respond in person to urgent emergency events on campus.
To apply, please submit your online application at (http://www.evansville.edu/offices/hr/employmentApp.cfm) and attach your cover letter and CV in one combined document. Review of applications begins immediately. The University of Evansville is an equal opportunity affirmative action employer strongly committed to educational excellence through diversity.
The University of Evansville expects all members of its community to treat each other with respect and civility. Harassing behaviors directed towards any member of our community will not be tolerated. As part of its commitment to non-discrimination, the University specifically prohibits harassment based on any other characteristics set forth in its nondiscrimination statement as follows: including race, color, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, creed or religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and all federally protected groups/classes. Any form of harassment undermines the mission of the University and negatively impacts the University community as a whole.
The University of Evansville participates in the E-Verify program.
If you are interested in coming to work at the University of Evansville, fill out our online application as well as review our application procedures and benefits information below. If you wish to apply for a position in dining services, please contact Chartwells. If you wish to apply for a position in housekeeping, please contact WFF at 812-488-2045.