The University of Evansville boasts one of the few undergraduate opera theater programs in the nation. With at least two productions a year, the UE Opera is an arts destination in our community.
The UE Opera (UEO) provides theatrical performing opportunities for music and non-music majors alike. All productions are fully staged with lights, costumes and sets. Fall Semester activities are usually focused on a performance of scenes or one-act pieces organized around a theme. Spring Semester features performance of a complete opera. Recent additions to our students' experience have been productions in foreign language, the addition of instrumental accompaniment, off-campus tours and children's productions, and presentations on the stage of the Victory Theatre in Evansville.
Recent UEO productions include:
- 2013 – The Magic Flute by W. A. Mozart
- 2012 – Trial by Jury by Gilbert and Sullivan
- 2012 - Die Fledermaus by Johann Strauss
- 2011 - La Bohème by Giacomo Puccini
- 2010 - Cosi fan tutte by W.A. Mozart
- 2009 - Hansel and Gretel by Engelbert Humperdinck
- 2008 - Suor Angelica and Gianni Schicchi by Giacomo Puccini
- 2007 - Four American One Act Operas
- 2007 - The Marriage of Figaro by W.A. Mozart
- 2006 - Amahl and the Night Visitors by Gian Carlo Menotti
- 2006 - Tartuffe by Kirke Mechem
UE Opera is supported by generous grants from organizations including ALCOA, the William E. Schmidt Foundation, and the Friends of UE Music.