Employment Opportunity Detail
Building Automation Technician
The Facilities Management and Planning department is recruiting to fill a full-time Building Automation Technician. Building Automation Systems Specialists, and Technicians analyze, install, implement, monitor, evaluate, troubleshoot, and maintain the campus wide building automation controls network for University facilities including Direct Digital Control (DDC) computer operations, systems, networks, databases, and building automation applications and integration. The building automation controls network enables efficient operation and management of mechanical (heating, ventilation, air conditioning, refrigeration, plumbing, laboratory), fire and life safety, lighting, energy management systems, and other ancillary (access control, security, etc.) building systems. Incumbents ensure all systems within the University building automation controls network operate at the highest efficiency to maintain proper equipment functionality and occupant comfort and safety.
This full-time position is typically scheduled Monday-Friday from 7am-4pm with occasional overtime and weekend emergency/standby responsibilities
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Performs skilled and semi-skilled preventative and predictive maintenance, inspection, testing, repair, and installation of digital, electrical, and electronic control equipment related to air conditioning, fume hood, and exhaust systems.
- Researches and implements ways to fully utilize and improve existing systems to assure the most efficient overall campus energy utilization.
- Performs a daily review of the system, troubleshoots and makes sure necessary changes are made in programming and calibration to ensure proper operation of controls and instrumentation.
- Identifies energy conservation measures (ECM’s) throughout the campus by making visual inspections and identifying deficiencies.
- Assists with troubleshooting and analysis to ensure maximum reliability and efficiency.
- Estimates labor, materials, and equipment needed for assigned projects; monitors inventory levels of materials and equipment; orders, receives, and maintains inventory of materials and equipment as needed.
- Records and maintains work and material records.
- Observes safe work methods and makes appropriate use of related safety equipment as required. Maintains work areas in a clean and orderly condition, including securing equipment at the close of the workday.
- Provides needed information and demonstrations concerning how to perform certain work tasks to new employees.
- Learns and applies emerging technologies and, as necessary, to perform duties in an efficient, organized, and timely manner.
- Performs skilled mechanical maintenance work in the installation, operation, maintenance, modification, service, and repair of electrical, heating, ventilation, and air conditioning, plumbing and refrigeration control system
- Principles, practices, methods, equipment, materials, and tools used in building automation operations.
- Operation of HVAC controls and campus energy management system (EMS) to meet both comfort and conservation requirements.
- Automated building management systems, energy conservation equipment and related components.
- HVAC, lighting, systems, and controls.
Skills and Abilities:
- Communication - able to effectively communicate in a professional, diplomatic, empathetic, and tactful manner using preferred method and level as applicable to the job.
- Team Orientation & Interpersonal - highly motivated team player with ability to develop and maintain collaborative relationships with all levels within and external to the organization.
- Results Orientation - proven ability to set and exceed established targets.
- Ability to work in a diverse environment.
- Organization & Time Management - able to plan, organize, and follow up on tasks related to the job to achieve goals within or ahead of established time frames.
- Adaptability to Change - able to be flexible and supportive, react swiftly to and able to assimilate change positively and proactively in rapid growth environment.
- Relationship Management - able to personally provide high level of interactive service to others, building relationships and addressing identified needs.
- Ethics - able to demonstrate integrity, professionalism, civility, and a high degree of ethics in all job-related actions.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, customer-service oriented collaborative team environment.
- Provide and ensure excellent customer service response to facilities issues as they arise on campus.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential data.
- High School diploma or equivalent or any combination of education, training or experience that provides the knowledge, skills and abilities required for this position.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and relationship building. Demonstrated ability to promote cooperation, trust, high quality workmanship and customer service in a service-oriented, multi-trade environment.
- Possess a valid driver's license and driving record to become/remain certified to operate vehicles and equipment.
- Certification in building automation, HVAC control technology, and computer network management from an accredited institution
- 2 years of experience performing duties related to the installation and maintenance of HVAC controls, energy management systems, metering devices, instrumentation, and electronic and pneumatic process controls.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The job requires working with and around hazardous building materials containing asbestos and solvents; frequent lifting, climbing, moving, and installing of heavy objects, many in awkward or high locations; and exposure to hot and cold temperatures when working outside. Frequent talking, seeing, and hearing. Repetitive motion of wrists, hands, and fingers. Frequent walking, standing, bending, twisting. Frequent climbing stairs, lifting up to 50 pounds. Able to operate a motorized vehicle.
The University of Evansville expects all members of its community to treat each other with respect and civility. Harassing behaviors directed towards any member of our community will not be tolerated. As part of its commitment to non-discrimination, the University specifically prohibits harassment based on any other characteristics set forth in its nondiscrimination statement as follows: including race, color, gender, gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, creed or religion, national origin, age, disability, veteran status and all federally protected groups/classes. Any form of harassment undermines the mission of the University and negatively impacts the University community as a whole.
The University of Evansville participates in the E-Verify program.
If you are interested in coming to work at the University of Evansville, fill out our online application as well as review our application procedures and benefits information below. If you wish to apply for a position in dining services, please contact Chartwells. If you wish to apply for a position in housekeeping, please contact WFF at 812-488-2045.